Search results

1. H

My AWT Test Results on a Sample of Seachem Reef Salt

I recently sent in a sample to AWT to see the numbers they'd get on Seachem Reef Salt, and to also compare them with with their previously published numbers in their 'salt test'. To make this sample I used 0 TDS RO/DI water that ran through 3 stages of non color changing semiconductor grade DI...
  2. H

locating a certain salt

<<< sorry if im offending you by wanting to go away from red sea salt i personally don't like it >>> You were not offending me and it's of course of no consequence to me what salt anyone uses or dislikes, I was just pointing out what levels Red Sea Salt will mix up to at 1.026 and that...
  3. H

Does cabon take out more good stuff than bad?

I think the type of carbon makes a big difference also, with Rox 0.8 and Seachem Matrix both being excellent to name a couple, while stuff like Kent Reef Carbon being far less effective.
  4. H

locating a certain salt

<<< im switching because since i've started using red sea my levels are extremely low >>> Red Sea Salt mixed up to 1.0264 SG should yield results of approx. 400 PPM Ca, 1300 Mg, and 7.5-8 dKH all of which are fine and very close to NSW levels. If your tank is experiencing extremely low...
  5. H

Does cabon take out more good stuff than bad?

<<< Does cabon take out more good stuff than bad? >>> Definately not. <<< Is it more or less beneficial to run carbon in a small tank when you are already doing 4 gallon weekly water changes? >>> More beneficial, especially in a smaller tank.
  6. H

Salt Analysis Study

FWIW.......some very experienced and knowledgeable people have serious issues with several of AWT's testing methods as well as their results on samples sent in for testing. Also, the tests in that study WERE done using samples of each brand mixed up to 1.026 SG.
  7. H

locating a certain salt

<<< im using regular red sea and its just not my liking >>> Chances are whatever you think is wrong with your tank or water params or whatever else has nothing to do with the Red Sea salt you're currently using as Red Sea is a very good salt mix and has params pretty close to NSW incl. Mg...
  8. H

why let water sit?

<<< by letting the salt sit for 24 hours or longer your letting all the particles of salt disolve and disperse evenly in your water. if you watch the salinity right after youve added salt it tends to be higher than a couple of hours later >>> Wouldn't the salinity rise as more salt...
  9. H

IMAC anyone

I'll be there.
  10. H

Enough light????

He's referring to the Coralife T5 fixtures which are just normal output T5 fixtures, not T5HO.
  11. H

Enough light????

That's really borderline......I would get at least 1 more of those lights or keep stuff up high in the tank.
  12. H

bottled sea water- bad news?

<<< Just wondering if anyone has bought any of the bottled sea water that comes in the 5gal jugs >>> Which brand was it? I've tested several different samples of the 3 major brands of pre-packaged NSW and only one was even close to NSW specs which was the Nutri-SeaWater brand.......with...
  13. H

Can you use beach sand?

That should've been just fine if it was collected in a relatively remote area. Perhaps something else went wrong somewhere?
  14. H

New Compact Florescents set-up HELP

You can do it either way as long as you keep the acrylic splash shield in place.........either install the plastic legs or you can also stick on the little rubber feet it came with and place it right on the tank. The closer the fixture is to the water the better, however the closer it is you...
  15. H

Filter question

Here's some info that may help you... Melevsreef.com | Acrylic Sumps & Refugiums
  16. H

2 quick inquiries for the many geniouses of the forum :)

What seperates the top quality units from the 'cheap' ones on Ebay and elsewhere are the quality of the pre-filters, the type and quality of the membrane, and what kind of final DI they use. The 2 things you minimally want to look for in a quality RO/DI unit are a Dow Filmtec or GE membrane...
  17. H

Dual Daylights or just 10k bulbs

Looking 'bad' is all a matter of personal preference. Some people like a more white look with more daylights and less actinics, some a more blueish look, etc.
  18. H

shopping for LR online

I am probably very biased because I've been keeping Florida wild and aquacultured rock (TBS & others) for probably the past 18 yrs. or so, and to me all other 'live rock' looks like stuff you'd dig up from your back yard :-) It's true that if you get TBS or any other aquacultered Gulf or Keys...
  19. H

Dual Daylights or just 10k bulbs

THe dual daylights will offer a slightly larger spectrum with the 6700K side and perhaps a bit more PAR, however they will also have a slightly more whitish-yellowish tint as opposed to a straight 10K bulb which will give a more crisp white look overall.