Dual Daylights or just 10k bulbs

Jeremy0322

Birthday came, hit the jackpot, and in about 20 minutes I am going online and getting everything else that I need for the tank to get it up and running. Quick question for everyone though. The coralife unit that I have runs 4 65watt bulbs, two of which are actinic(420NM and 460NM)(they are the weird 4 pronged ones with 2 different tubes per bulb) and the other 2 are the daylight bulbs. What the tank came with are dual daylight bulbs with two tubes, one at 6700K and the other one at 10000k. Would it just be better to get 10000k bulbs and not the dual daylight ones? Thanks for the help

HowardW

THe dual daylights will offer a slightly larger spectrum with the 6700K side and perhaps a bit more PAR, however they will also have a slightly more whitish-yellowish tint as opposed to a straight 10K bulb which will give a more crisp white look overall.

Triggerjay

On my 55g, I ran two 65w actinics, two 10k, and two 50/50. I removed the 50/50's once, and replaced them with 10k, and the light looked bad...

Jason

HowardW

On my 55g, I ran two 65w actinics, two 10k, and two 50/50. I removed the 50/50's once, and replaced them with 10k, and the light looked bad...

Jason

Looking 'bad' is all a matter of personal preference. Some people like a more white look with more daylights and less actinics, some a more blueish look, etc.