shopping for LR online

JoJo

my rock is completely clean, it was FW dipped before being stored over 2yrs ago.

if you look in my thread, i posted the article i was refering to

HowardW

Before buying any type of live rock you should ask yourself what is your plan for the tank.........fish and rock only, fish and a few corals, full reef setup, etc. There are many choices available from 100% white dead rock (marco rocks) to your 98% dead typical figi, tonga, etc type rock, to having an actual 'living slice of the ocean' in your tank type rock (TBS, Gulf-View, etc.) and everything in between. Each has its purpose depending on your goals for the tank.

JoJo

Thanks Howard, thats what i'm trying to figure out now, if it would be beneficial to use TBS or similar rock or stay away from them because of the bad hitchhikers

HowardW

Thanks Howard, thats what i'm trying to figure out now, if it would be beneficial to use TBS or similar rock or stay away from them because of the bad hitchhikers

I am probably very biased because I've been keeping Florida wild and aquacultured rock (TBS & others) for probably the past 18 yrs. or so, and to me all other 'live rock' looks like stuff you'd dig up from your back yard :)

It's true that if you get TBS or any other aquacultered Gulf or Keys live rock that there may be some hitchers you won't want in yout tank, however you can usually remove most of them before the rock even goes in your tank, and any you miss you can trap later. Whenever you are taking a 'piece of the ocean' and putting it in your tank you are also going to get all the little creepy crawlers that goes along with it both good and sometimes bad. I can tell you that you can also try a place like SeaLife which is premium Keys rock and usually wont have any bad hitchers on it like the rock from the Gulf.

naperenterprise

Jo Jo,

In my opinion... TBS rock is really really cool! When I got some years ago it was covered in cup corals, star fish and all sorts of HH. I did get a few mantis shrimp, but I tell you watching all the different life crawl around was so worth me spending the time to catch the few bad HH'ers.

Very full of life, and was amazing. The TBS was one of the reasons I became so fasinated with this hobby.

I don't currently have TBS rock right now, but I miss watching all the stuff...

I basically know what is in my tanks right now.

I vote for you to try out the TBS rock, you'll love it...

cracker

Check out Reef Scavengers They are in the Melbourne area & sell LR. I ordered some Haitian Lr from Ebay, The guy was based in Lauderdale I think. If You can find it in florida You'll save a ton on shipping. Main thing TBS rock has going is all the life on/in it. It's right up the road from St Pete.You just can't get any rock that fresh anywhere else.

thelastmucci

I'm glad I found this thread...today Bard had a pic of her LR and it was from TBS. I like the package deal but I don't like the fact that they give you a cucumber with it...very nervous about those things. Also it seems like great rock she got some very nice coral and lots of coralline on it. As far as bad hitchhikers go I thought I read that you could increase salinity and drive them from the rock...anyone have any experience in this area. Also I was planning on getting about 30lbs base rock and 20lbs cherry picked Marshall Island rock from USMarineRocks.com Has anyone heard anything good or bad about these guys..if I don't go with the TBS then I'm going to go with them..about the same price not including air cargo shipping which I assume is a pretty cheap way of shipping.

naperenterprise

They work with you over there at TBS, if you don't want the cucumber let them know, they will swap something else in its place or remove the cost of it on your order.

Great guy down there...

I'm glad I found this thread...today Bard had a pic of her LR and it was from TBS. I like the package deal but I don't like the fact that they give you a cucumber with it...very nervous about those things. Also it seems like great rock she got some very nice coral and lots of coralline on it. As far as bad hitchhikers go I thought I read that you could increase salinity and drive them from the rock...anyone have any experience in this area. Also I was planning on getting about 30lbs base rock and 20lbs cherry picked Marshall Island rock from USMarineRocks.com Has anyone heard anything good or bad about these guys..if I don't go with the TBS then I'm going to go with them..about the same price not including air cargo shipping which I assume is a pretty cheap way of shipping.

JoJo

yea, i'm being nudged towards TBS by a couple of good friends. they're trying their best to remove any doubt about TBS's rock that i might have

goldenmean

I loce my TBS LR.
I had a lot of gorilla crabs but over the months i have captured them all (I think) and they did absolutely no damage while they were in the tank.
I also had 3 mantis which I just adore. I have 2 of them in my DT and I find them just fascinating. They are amazing creatures. They are no where near as bad as their reputation. The Mantis of the Gulf of Mexico are a small species and not the hell raisers they are made out to be.

There is no doubt any new tank in the future that I may have will be a TBS tank.

thelastmucci

yes JoJo I would do the package and would probably swap out the bristle star and the cucumber maybe for a few peppermint shrimps...all in all it looks really good though.

BarbMazz

Anthony, where did you read this about cucumbers? I don't remember reading anything about them fouling tanks like this. Serpent stars, either. Not that I've read everything, of course! LOL

TBS isn't a sponsor on RS. They are sponsors over on RC. Buying a Package is like getting a discount, though, because the prices of the rock and everything is less when it's grouped together. Go on over to the website and read it thoroughly. He explains what amounts he takes off of the different Package components from buying them separately. Richard explains everything in good detail.

Keep in mind that freight is not included in the Package price. Freight from Tampa to Cleveland for Part 1 of mine (45g Package) was $159.44, and freight for Part 2 was $119.44. It's an important part of figuring your budget for this!

For me, even with the freight costs this was a VERY good deal. There are just not any quality LFS in my area at all. The LFS that are here have very expensive LR... $8.99, $9.99lb !! And LS is that dry bagged stuff which is NOT live sand.

JoJo

Barb, isnt it sad that you're way in Cleveland and you have to convince me to buy rock thats from TBS even though i'm in TB?

BarbMazz

Barb, isnt it sad that you're way in Cleveland and you have to convince me to buy rock thats from TBS even though i'm in TB?

LOL No it's not sad, JoJo. Part of this is regional, I think, because like I said there are so few reefers here that I know of so the pickings are slim.

Plus, maybe this sounds 'weird', but I think personality plays a big role in how we choose what life goes in our system.

One thing for sure, though, JoJo, if you do decide to go with TBS you will be able to pick it up! That alone will save you big bucks in shipping costs.

BarbMazz

Another thought, JoJo.. maybe you should give Richard a call and go visit him. See how he does things and his operation. That would be way cool, too!

Of course if you do that WE'LL NEED PICTURES!

JoJo

his site says they're not open to the public anymore, but they can arrange ground shipping, so no pick-ups