why let water sit?

leahski

okay, so i've always heard that you need to let mixed water sit with a powerhead and heater for at least 24h before you use it, and i've always done it, but i have no clue why! what does it do? other than of course make sure that its at the right temp.

can anyone explain this to me?
Thanks!

Cavinca

hey leahski...

by letting the salt sit for 24 hours or longer your letting all the particles of salt disolve and disperse evenly in your water. if you watch the salinity right after youve added salt it tends to be higher than a couple of hours later. also in larger containers you could find spots of differnt salinities.

not doing this allows the undesolved salt to settle on corals and such BURNING them.

ive also read that its a good idea to cut off your ph's and let your mixed water sit a few minutes before using it. this allows any harmful undesolved salts settle at the bottom of your mixing container.

from what i understand this is why we let the water mix so long. if i am incorrect someone will correct me :)

HowardW

<<< by letting the salt sit for 24 hours or longer your letting all the particles of salt disolve and disperse evenly in your water. if you watch the salinity right after youve added salt it tends to be higher than a couple of hours later >>>

Wouldn't the salinity rise as more salt goes into solution after a couple hours?

I believe the reason for letting the water circulate and/or aerate is to allow sufficient time for oxygen/carbon dioxide equilibrium as many salt mixes will mix up to a high initial pH. I don't believe it's absolutely necessary to let it go for 24 hrs. if you mix it up well initially, and I let mine strongly aerate using a Luft pump and rigid airline tubing for just 2-3 hrs. after mixing and then check salinity and adjust if necessary.

rmlevasseur

The rate of oxidation by the oxygen in the water on the chlroride in the salt is not instantaneous. Only when complete oxidation has occurred will there be an accurate and stable PH reading.