Search results

1. rdwilson91

Hello from Texas

Seriously awesome screen name! I'm Rusty, I don't know what part of Texas you're in, but DFW has some incredible reef stores.
  2. rdwilson91

Attaching Frogspawn to Rock?

I love that one- I got a variety from a friend that is exactly opposite of yours, it has purple stems with green tips.
  3. rdwilson91

Perspective Coral and Lighting Needs

Benefit of the 4-bulb: It's adequate for coral, will run slightly cooler, and is most likely less expensive. Benefit of the 6-bulb: It's more than enough, and would allow you to have the same amount of growing light but with extra actinics and sweet bulbs like purples and pinks. If you don't...
  4. rdwilson91

Jade 'aptasia eating' file fish

I had one that never touched any of my corals. He devoured aiptasia and decimated my pod population, and died mysteriously after about six months. Great fish.
  5. rdwilson91

Im New to Salt !!!

:welcomera Welcome to the forums, you're in the right place to get started.
  6. rdwilson91

Downgrading to a shallow aquarium!

Wow.. I do 5 gallons, a little over 15%, every two weeks. Like I said above, I attribute the nuisance algae to the rocky sandbed I never should have created.
  7. rdwilson91

Water changes? That sounds like an activity I used to enjoy....long, long ago...
  8. rdwilson91

I don't have a problem with phosphates anymore now that I got rid of my clownfish, which was increasing the bioload and I think the food was adding phosphate. I know there is some fueling the algae, but I used to have a gigantic problem with red slime, which is completely gone now. I'm getting...
  9. rdwilson91

Hello everyone, just in time for Passover, I'm staring a cleaning and declutterring project by downgrading my 29 gallon hell hole to a shallow 20L. I love the look of 20Ls, and even though my tank looks awful, all the the livestock is extremely healthy. I have a couple of SPS that are growing...
  10. rdwilson91

How long can live rock be sustained out of water?

How long can you be sustained outside of air? A big problem with taking live rock out of water is that many sponges die quickly when exposed to air. All those little sponges will instigate a cycle and cause a rise in silicates. You will almost always have some die off when transporting live...
  11. rdwilson91

Need new bulbs for T5 fixture

ATI is much better than Coralife. Most people on RS will recommend you always stay away from Coralife bulbs. Also, actinic are not quite as important as daylight bulbs, so I would suggest 4 10,000k and 2 deep blue actinics.
  12. rdwilson91

Rusty's 29

Added some Mexican turbos for the hair algae, and I've picked up some fire and ice, sunkist, and dragon eye zoanthids. Also removed the cabbage leather so hopefully I can raise LPS now.
  13. rdwilson91

125G Uprade

You should check out myreefcreations.com. I'd have a chat with Eric about it.
  14. rdwilson91

125G Uprade

that is awesome! I love 125's.
  15. rdwilson91

What's wrong with my Toadstool?

I would dip the coral before anything else. I had a cabbage leather with a spaghetti worm in the base that I didn't even know about. It was shrunken for months, and I was blowing cyano off of it when I noticed the tentacles moving. The day after I killed the worm, it opened up beautifully. Had I...
  16. rdwilson91

My bta anemone molested my leather

I love the low prices for good coral, but have you seen the people there? The service goes beyond terrible. Even the owners suck.
  17. rdwilson91

My bta anemone molested my leather

You can remove the anemone. Your tank is too small. BTA's will move all they want until they find a good spot, and under your lights, he may never find a spot. Also, they typically grow at least 1 foot in captivity and up to 3 feet in the wild. It's either the corals or the anemone.
  18. rdwilson91

Eddies noob tank. The journey begins.

What kind of lights do you have?
  19. rdwilson91

Eddies noob tank. The journey begins.

DUDE! You need to get that bubble tip anemone out of there and back to the store. Your tank is too small and too new to support it.
  20. rdwilson91

is this a high out put or not help! just bought

Now that's some light! I have 4x24 over a 16" deep tank and I have softs, montipora, and leather. Can't grow lps though- I think my leather is too toxic. You should be able to grow most corals under that. sounds like a nice setup!