125G Uprade

GlassMunky

A good friend of mine has an old 125G tank that is just sitting in his house in the basement. He originaly had an 13"arawana in it but because of his job he didnt have time for it and had to take the tank down; So he's giving the tank to me. So I definatly need some help from you guys with more experience on this one. I want to do this one right from the start. Tank, Sump/Fuge, Light, QT/Hospital tank setup. I've never done anything with plumbing, and will be reading up more on how that works as well as follwing the QT setup sticky here on RS. The tank's bottom is tempered so i'll have to drill drill the side/back for plumbing. I'm also thinking that I'm going to build a stand rather than buy one. I'm wanting to have the tank mainly focused on hard corals, SPS mainly, but i do like alot of LPS. I already have an old Blueline 250W-E Ballast laying around, and a 24" T5 fixture that could i guess be used as lights for the fuge, and all the equipment on my 29G(150W MH/T5 combo, Misc. Powerheads) but thats about it other than the tank. Soo, what is everyones suggestions on the best setup for this?I'm in no rush to get this done, just want it done right.:bluenod:

tnwillia

I'd start by checking the seals. another member was talking about his seals failing on his tank he got from a relative as he filled it. Good luck!

GlassMunky

Can anyone recommend a good brand of skimmer for this? I'm thinking something rated for around 400G as with the sump and fuge i'm guessing it will be around 200G total volume. also, good return pump? Should i do a Sump/Fuge combo or actually have the 2 seperate?

tnwillia

If your going to run a sump look at the SWC skimmers, Love mine and well built. They are a sponsor here. Have fun!

GlassMunky

So i drew up a very rough sketch of what i'm thinking as the setup, and came up with a list of all the equipment i could think of that i will need. Any suggestions on the setup? or am i missing anything as far as equip i'll need? For the skimmer i came up with 4 that are possablitys in my mind. The SWC XTreme 300, the XTreme 350, OR from MRC the MR2, or the MR3. I also havnt decided on a sump yet. I'm kinda thinking maybe the the MR2/3 and also geth the 36" Reefsump from MRC as well??? is that big enough for a 125? ANY and ALL input is very appreciated as i feel a lil over my head here......
DSC01100.jpg

DSC01102.jpg

Forgive my bad drawings.....

Last edited: