Need new bulbs for T5 fixture

cheely13

Ok guys and gals my light are about a yr old looking for some suggestions for a 6 bulb t 5 fixture i do have single reflectors for each bulb im using 3 10k and 3 antics right now but was wandering what you all thought. i was thinking about getting either coralife or ati bulbs but didnt know what spectrum would be the best only have softies in the tank (kenya tree, mushroom,mushroom anemone and some green polyps)i also have about 23 inches of water to penetrate to get all the way to the bottom. Thank you for any help.

rdwilson91

ATI is much better than Coralife. Most people on RS will recommend you always stay away from Coralife bulbs. Also, actinic are not quite as important as daylight bulbs, so I would suggest 4 10,000k and 2 deep blue actinics.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
What "Color/Look" are you going for? I happen to prefer a Deeper Bluer look to my tanks so I gravitate more towards 3 & 3 or even 2 & 4.

Since you're stocking softies in the tank you're not confined to any specific bulb types so pick something that's pleasing to your eyes. That's part of the beauty of T5 is being able to easily and inexpensively change a bulb or two and really change the whole "Look" of the tank.

ATI is an excellent choice in bulbs. :thumber:

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
ATI, Giesemann, UVL are all good choices IMO. I like Reef Geek's site to get good information and color spectra on many of the bulbs:

ReefGeek > Lighting > T5 Fluorescent > Bulbs

I see they now have Aqua Science AquaPerfekt bulbs. I don't have any experience with those, but I think I once read that they were highly rated overseas.

cheely13

thanks guys ok i looked at the reefgeek sight afer reading them all i think i might go with.

4 54w midday sun by giesemann they are 6000k. 1 blue plus 460 nm by ATI and 1 purple plus to bring out purples and reds also made by ATI

OR
2 of each of the above lights i do have a 400w MH that i never turn on because i dont have any requirements in the tank for that much light but if i go with this set up i might need it to give the tank a brighter look

what do your all think im trying to pull out more color in the rock and fish i like more of a blue color than the yellow or washed out look dont have much experience in lights though so ill ask the experts and your all know the LFS tryes to sell you what they have

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I really like ReekGreeks to, I recently got some bulbs for my RSM 130D & love the looks... I just bought a RSM 250 ( 6 t5's) and ask them for advise... if it helps... here they reply I got, I talked on the phone to George & then he e-mailed me the below...

Glenn,

Here is a recap of what we talked about today as well as the combos I promised

With your current PCF Setup (75/25 Aquablue/2 in 1 SA) on your RedSeaMax 130, you have a bit of “pink” hue to your tank. Our recommendation to replicate that for your T5 Setup would be:

QTY 4 - UVL0027 UVL 39W 75/25 14000K AquaBlue T5 HO Fluorescent

QTY 2 - UVL 39W Super Actinic T5 HO Fluorescent

Here a couple of our more popular 6 bulb combos for you to review as well…

6-Bulb

3 ATI B+

1 ATI 12k Aquablue

1 GE 6500K Daylight

1 ATI Purple Plus

For the bluer look, Replace the Aquablue with another ATI B+

Glenn, let me know if you have any additional questions. And thanks again for the opportunity to work with you.

Regards,

George Balolong

crespeto

I would totally go with reef geeks customer service there is fantastic. As for the setup, I have 2 ati blue+, 2 fiji purple and 2 ge daylight 6500, for mine. That was a setup someone else suggested. my ge's broke during shipping so and RG is sending out replacements now. I'll be able to tell better what it all looks like when they get in. Good luck with your new lights.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Glenn I'm liking the idea of the "Pink Hue" of this suggestion

QTY 4 - UVL0027 UVL 39W 75/25 14000K AquaBlue T5 HO Fluorescent

QTY 2 - UVL 39W Super Actinic T5 HO Fluorescent

As far as ReefGeek > Aquarium Supplies for Marine, Reef, and Saltwater Aquariums goes they are "Up There" in my books with ReefCleaners.org | Clean Up Crews and Macro Algae - Home in Customer Service and Satisfaction. Those two companies set the bar so HIGH that few other companies can even SEE let alone achieve that level.

CarmenH

When I first bought my 6 x 54W Tek Light, I got Coralife lamps for it, since I was out of cash after the fixture. (I can get Coralife at cost through work.)
Recently, I decided to start replacing the 6mo old lamps. I was going to do 2 every 3 months and get on that cycle to ease the financial pain but after seeing the first 2 Geismanns next to the Coralifes, I just couldn't do it, I bought 2 more the following week and will get 2 more next week. I knew Coralife wasn't AS good as others, but I had no idea that the difference could be so significant! The Cl actinics are a dull dusty gray next to the Geismann actinic +. I now have 3 Geismann actinic +'s and 1 aquablue +, just have to decide what to get for the last 2. Might go UVL, maybe an aquasun for the reds and ???

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Carmen you hit the nail on the head when you said
but I had no idea that the difference could be so significant

There is a HUGE difference between Coralife or Current and the "REAL" bulb companies.

I'm about to try some of the new "KZ" brand T5 bulbs that I'm hearing such GREAT things about. I'll know more later this week because my LFS has the whole series on order and should be here late this week. The FIJI Purple is getting some great reviews and LOADEd with PAR!!

CarmenH

LOL, the Fiji Purple is another one I've considered. The lfs near me that stocks them has all the sizes in EXCEPT for mine! They keep saying next week... They're running a tank with just the KZ blue (I forget the name) and fiji purple and it's kinda seriously awesome :)