Search results

1. Jewells

Aiptasia question?????????????

You will have a better chance getting the shrimp to eat it if they feed them aptasia at the LFS, mine did and the shrimp took care of it but it took it a couple days to get started. My peppermint is the Lysmata wurdemanni, I have heard the other one (not sure of the name) will not eat aptasia at...
  2. Jewells

Strange Sand sifter behaviour

+1 on the baby making, I have mini stars that are doing it all the time and there are lots of them now.......so, that would be a safe bet. :D
  3. Jewells

things crawling on my glass

Here is a good article about the isopods Pills, Parasites, and Predators; Isopods in the Reef Aquarium by Ronald L. Shimek, Ph.D. - Reefkeeping.com
  4. Jewells

things crawling on my glass

maybe look up copepods or isopods (spelling?) on google the shape seems to fit it. If so they are good.
  5. Jewells

can i add a cleaner shrimp?

So, is it safe to say that I can take a fish out and leave the snail, (that leaves a nice pile under him while sleeping) add a cleaner shrimp and it would be good? Or take a fish out and the snail and get a shrimp?
  6. Jewells

Mistakes You've Made

LMAO it is a 12g tank I buy GALLON jugs distilled water for water CHANGES premixed sitting on my fridge. The thread is for funny stories, btw my salinity lessens as the water evaps.
  7. Jewells

help w/ ID

Sorry bout that, saw the word flat and didn't even think about the limpot, but I agree that it is not a flatworm, the flatworms aren't that hard to get out of there from what I hear. They can be sucked out with a hose.
  8. Jewells

my tank is close to 3 month old and I keep a close eye on all the parameters because of having the 3 fish in there. Also I add water and do partial water changes every week. So far so good. I have a huge snail in there that probably gives off more waste then all 3 fish combined. LOL Thinking...
  9. Jewells

okay thanks, are they too big for a 12g if I decide to get rid of something and add one? Do they get along with peppermint shrimp? I notice they can get pretty big.
  10. Jewells

help w/ ID

Not sure about the first one but the second one is a flat worm and you want to get rid of those asap before you get too many. You can take them out manually whenever you see one, others will have more ideas for you I haven't ever had them but know they are bad.
  11. Jewells

Mini's Reef Bowl

Just ran into this thread again, I lost track of it and I see that this is proof ANYTHING is possible, way to go! Can't wait to see it progress some more, so I will follow along :D
  12. Jewells

I have a full tank atm I know but can I add a cleaner shrimp to my 12g bowfront (no fuge or sump) or would it be too much? 2 green chromis 1 bi color blenny 1 peppermint shrimp 2 cerith snails 1 babylonith snail 1 (sold to me as turbo) looks like another, still, a snail 10 various very...
  13. Jewells

Shanni's first SW tank

You mentioned the coraline turning white....I was told from a friend who was told by a LFS that the red coraline needs calcium and currrent hitting it. (powerhead?)But there are different colors of coraline that grow in different circumstances, I would google it or ask.com and find out exactly...
  14. Jewells

MILLIONS of them now!

Makes me not want to buy from a LFS! I just got some first corals but from someone with an established tank, I feel lucky. I will get something for sure when I buy from a LFS. Thanks for sharing, and glad you got it taken care of without a huge loss.
  15. Jewells

Mistakes You've Made

Wow, these are some really great stories! I am still new to the SW, about 2 1/2 months so nothing major. I usually buy one gallon jugs of distilled water since I have a 12g and just dump a little out and add salt to the jug. I figured I would get a glass of water before I added salt to one jug...
  16. Jewells

Baby what?

That is cool! Keep us posted to it's progress I'm curious to see what it turns out like. :D
  17. Jewells

small white scary crustacean- Please help me ID

cute little bugger close up :/ I have some really similar but I can't see them that close to be sure, I saw one close to 1/2 inch long running around my new mushroom. Doesn't bother anything if it is the same thing. How the heck did you get a pic?
  18. Jewells

Salt Mix - Instant Ocean Reef Crystals

I use intant ocean sea salt (not crystals) and it seems to do fine, I have to add a small amount of ph buffer though and I use distilled bottled water in my 12g. So far so good. :)
  19. Jewells

When good blennys go bad...

Never mind about the scratching, mine keeps doing it and it seems he does it to upset stuff or when he sees me he does it and runs up to the side and stops and looks at me, somewhat aggressive i'm guessing but doesn't bother the button polyps I have growing. Likes to peck at the snails though...
  20. Jewells

Hydroids

Luckily I haven't seen any of those in my tank. :)