can i add a cleaner shrimp?

Jewells

I have a full tank atm I know but can I add a cleaner shrimp to my 12g bowfront (no fuge or sump) or would it be too much?
2 green chromis
1 bi color blenny
1 peppermint shrimp
2 cerith snails
1 babylonith snail
1 (sold to me as turbo) looks like another, still, a snail
10 various very small corals (added less than a week ago)
lots of pods and bristle worms

I only ask because I hear they are good at cleaning any type of pests on fish and coral so it was a thought.

DaveK

I would say that you already have the tank maxed out as far as stocking goes. I would not add anything else.

You can not depend on cleaner shrimp to control "any type of pests on fish and coral". This is not a good reason to add them to a system. Yes, cleaner shrimp will sometimes tend wounds and such on fish, but they will not go after the main parasite diseases, SW ich and velvet. Save your money.

Jewells

okay thanks, are they too big for a 12g if I decide to get rid of something and add one? Do they get along with peppermint shrimp? I notice they can get pretty big.

goldenmean

The 3 fish in a 12 gallon tank is where you overstocked.
How old is your tank? If it is relatively new keep a close eye on ammonia levels

btw A cleaner shrimp will fit in a 12g tank

Jewells

my tank is close to 3 month old and I keep a close eye on all the parameters because of having the 3 fish in there. Also I add water and do partial water changes every week. So far so good. I have a huge snail in there that probably gives off more waste then all 3 fish combined. LOL Thinking about getting rid of it. Lots of little guys in there cleaning up the waste as well. pods, mini serpents, bristle worms. I like the looks of the cleaner shrimp too.

DaveK

The snail isn't much of a problem compared to the fish when it comes to generation waste products. It may be big, but it moves slow. Fish tend to be active.

Jewells

So, is it safe to say that I can take a fish out and leave the snail, (that leaves a nice pile under him while sleeping) add a cleaner shrimp and it would be good? Or take a fish out and the snail and get a shrimp?

1Reefer

If it was me, and you feel you are doing fine keeping the water params in check, I would just swap the peppermint shrimp for a cleaner shrimp... if you start adding more corals the peppermints can be a bit iffy, and I have a 72 gallon, I would hate to deal with one tromping all over my corals robbing them of their goodies lol just IMO here stupid peppermints.. I have like 5 and they are great in there own ways but man are they ever theaving little ehhm...