Aiptasia question?????????????

does Aiptasia retract like a coco worm when you get close to or try to touch them or even shine a flash light on them. by refering to other pic and post i think thats what i have a few of. also do pepermint shimp eat them? ive seen maybe ten or so and i just picked up one shrimp, will that be enoughf shrimp?

thanks for ur help in advance

GrendelPrime

as soon as they feel something by them they will retract into the rock there attached to and peppermint shrimp should eat them but until u can get the shrimp u can take a syringe and fill it with lemon juice or boiling water and inject them, they should melt away. theres different ways and im sure others will chime in on how to nuke them but take care of them asap:)

Val

Some peppermint shrimp eat them and some don't. From what I researched you have a 50/50 chance of a shrimp eating them. I bought 4 shrimp @ 10.00 each and atleast one of them did like aiptasias.

i already have a shimp that i got today, will the Aiptasia retract instantly as fast as the coco worm? ans a few of them look like they have a small tube the retract into

Val

yes they do, I poked the ones in my tank as a test to make sure they were aiptasias.

alrite then. damn i do have em. ill get another shrimp maybe and try some boiling water on them tomarrow when the lights come on.
thanks

Jewells

You will have a better chance getting the shrimp to eat it if they feed them aptasia at the LFS, mine did and the shrimp took care of it but it took it a couple days to get started. My peppermint is the Lysmata wurdemanni, I have heard the other one (not sure of the name) will not eat aptasia at all.

wm23oh

Maybe I'm confused. Did you say they retract into a TUBE? Aiptasia will hunker down (shrink) but do not go into a tube.

Do you have any photos?

If not does it look like any of the following pictures? (pictures are not mine)
Aiptasia
1 http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i126/wwest2/Howtos/anemone.jpg
Or a Mango
2 ttp://www.wetwebmedia.com/Cnidarians/Anthozoans/AnemonePIX/DSC02522-1[1]%20anem%20id.jpg

The second photo is taken from OtherPstAnemFAQs They are my favorite source for research.

How many do you have?

James

most of them look retract into a tube or small hole in the rock. just like a coco worm if there threatened the retract very quick, ill have to get some pics

here are some pic of the ones a carmera can get to, one has yellow feathers on it.

DSC_0005.jpg

DSC_0004.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg

sweetlou

If you really want to get rid of your Aptasia - Get some Kalk, mix with aquarium water until you have an almost toothpaste consistency.. Get a plastic syringe and apply it directly to the top of the aptasia,, I swear by this as many other pro reefers do..Cheers.

marineman

Cased closed as they are feather dusters, but anyone with Aiptasia I would recommend Joe's juice. They were gone within 10 minutes of the injection. Great product, Just my 2 cents