Shanni's first SW tank

Shannibanani

After much procrastination here it is:

The back story:

Husband once mentions to wife that he has always wanted a saltwater fish tank.

Wife decides one day to fulfill that dream and without any research buys him a 5 gallon acrylic tank.

Wife later finds out that a 5 gallon tank will not suit what they want in a tank.

Lessons Learned:

Research, research, research. Have a good idea what you want in a tank. Or you end up spending a lot more money fixing your mistakes.

When buying equipment spend a little bit more up front or spend more in the long run (ie: refractometer)

The "Current" Story:

After researching wife takes the small tank back. Trades it in on a 34 gallon Solana System by Current.

Tank had been up in running at the Reef Store (so much more than a LFS) for 8 months. Brought it home and put it through a "mini cycle'' due to all the sand being stirred up. During this move or because of this move about half of the coralline algae turned white and has yet to return to purple (any ideas why?).

Have slowly added corals, CUC and livestock over the past month.

Pictures coming soon! Comments, concerns or questions welcome and desired.

Thanks for looking:square:

Shannibanani

Pictures as promised...

Also a couple of things.

My green torch died two days after bringing it home from LFS. Not sure what I did to it since everything in the tank seems to be flourishing.

My elegance is still alive but seems to have lost all of it's feelers.

Here are the parameters:

KH 180
PH 8.0
Nitrates 20
Nitrites 0
Calcium 450
Alk 10
Salinity .0124
Temp 78-80

Full tank shot
IMG_0578.jpg

Couple of close ups
IMG_0574.jpg

IMG_0576.jpg

IMG_0573.jpg

IMG_0570.jpg

And a pic of my rare Night Fury corals. Thinking about fragging them so others can enjoy them as well...

IMG_0538.jpg

Shannibanani

Tank is actually 9 months old but it has only been in our house for a month. It was up and running at the reef store for 8 months I bought it and transported it home in buckets and had it set up again in an hour. I did a 20% water change and have only had two casualties so far. *knock on wood*
:fingerx:

Jewells

You mentioned the coraline turning white....I was told from a friend who was told by a LFS that the red coraline needs calcium and currrent hitting it. (powerhead?)But there are different colors of coraline that grow in different circumstances, I would google it or ask.com and find out exactly what you need to do to get that particular color to come back. The same happened to me but not all of it turned white just some of it. I know not much help but every little bit helps :D

1Reefer

The coralline should come back... it was probably exposed to air for an extended period, freshwater will also do it...

Great looking tank by the way! I love the rimless cube style tanks! I'm jealous lol... looking forward to more updates here.