Search results

1. magnetar68

RSM 130D Seahorse Tank

Thanks for the kudos! I don't think it's gracilaria either. I mention that fact in one of my older videos as well. It does not look like any of the common Halimenia's I have seen online, but I also know it does not look like the common gracilaria we use to feed tangs, etc. BTW, I had to swap out...
  2. magnetar68

RSM 130D Seahorse Tank

It's been a while since I've posted, but my RSM 130D has been up since April as a seahorse tank. Here's a video of what it looks like now. I am using only one of the two lights and one of the two circulation pumps with a DIY spray bar. I also have a Koralia 1. Together they create a clockwise...
  3. magnetar68

Removing the RSM 130D Surface Skimmer Grate

i don't recommend removing it. i bought black aquarium silicone to reseal it, so i had to do this on a (near) empty tank. a good scaping is better than a perfect cleaning since the latter requires removal.
  4. magnetar68

RSM 130D Rebirth for 2012

Another Setback This tank has been a lot harder than my other two tanks. Ironically, I have been much better with water changes and maintenance, but the atypical requirements of this seahorse/soft coral/algae tank (overall lower flow but some higher flow areas plus some light) means I am in...
  5. magnetar68

More bad news. The larger male mandarin died today. It seemed like he was not eating as much the past few days (his food would be left untouched in the diner), but yesterday he seemed fine. He ate a bunch of OVA and was pretty active swimming around the tank, but this morning he had labored...
  6. magnetar68

Bad news. I added a Red Blood Fire shrimp (Lysmata debelius) from my 120G to this tank last weekend. I wanted to add another as a book I read talked about the benefit of pairs of shrimp breeding and providing live food for the seahorses. The shrimp was an issue in my 120G also because he nested...
  7. magnetar68

Skimmer for the 130D

I am thinking about the CPR Aeroforce AP. What do people think? DOes not look like it is yet available, but seems like a great skimmer (and pricey too :-( ). CPR Aeroforce AP air driven hang on protein skimmer
  8. magnetar68

Skimmer for the 130D

Can you please point to the "best" way to do this mod?
  9. magnetar68

LED lights for RSM 130D

oops, typo, I meant 28x3W that's why I got the math right.
  10. magnetar68

LED lights for RSM 130D

No. I built my own 300W fixture for my 120G. My RSM is not a macro algae seahorse tank, so I don't need a lot of lighting, but I am seriously thinking about upgrading to that kit. It seems well designed. BigAl likes it. I would like a more subtle on-off with the dimming and the reduced heat.
  11. magnetar68

LED lights for RSM 130D

These are very low watt LEDs strips (6W total) meant for supplemental accent lighting (color/shimmer effects), not growing corals. A rough guide is that you need about 1/2 the LED wattage to replace a conventional light, so for an RSM 130D with 110W of PC lighting, you would want somewhere...
  12. magnetar68

Who is running a reactor, and do I need to?

I have had two TLF Phosban 150s hanging off of the back of my 130D. I had a sump, but it was very loud, so I went back to the Tunze 9002 and the two reactors handing off the back powered by by a Rio+ 400 under the Tunze. It worked great. I had GAC/GFO in one and Biopellets in the other. It...
  13. magnetar68

Skimmer for the 130D

I have a Tunze 9002. It's seems OK, but given all of the newer nano models out there these days, I was wondering if anyone has since upgraded and found one that is even better?
  14. magnetar68

Identification of my clowns

There are two reasons I want to know. 1) I strive to be informed and know things. This is just the way my brain is wired. It bugs me not to know the why, how, and what. While this desire is probably a symptom of some underlying psychological condition, the side effect is that it has helped...
  15. magnetar68

Sustainable Aquatics responded to my inquiry and confirmed Brandon's observation that these are SA Fancy A. Ocellaris.
  16. magnetar68

What is the clue that these are definitely A. Ocellaris?
  17. magnetar68

I bought these two clown fish two years ago. I bought them from my LFS. I was new to the hobby then, so I did not have a sense for how bad my LFS was at properly labeling the tanks. At the time, the tank was labeled "Sustainable Aquatics A. Ocellaris." As they have gotten older, their colors...
  18. magnetar68

Thanks all. I am really surprised how interesting these guys are to watch. Once I fix my cameras, I'll try to post another video. They have gotten a lot more colorful over the past couple of days.
  19. magnetar68

Seahorse came in yesterday from Ocean Rider in Hawaii. Really great company. The clearly care about their animals and go to great lengths to make sure their new owners are ready to keep them alive and well. http://youtu.be/SWJLa-Ge9Zw Sorry for the poor video. My power supply went out on my...
  20. magnetar68

mandarin dragonet pair behaivor

I made it. I just drop sinking foods like frozen mysis, nutramar ova, or pellets and they sink to the bottom. I don't need to put my hands in the tank to feed them or remove uneaten food as I can lift the whole thing out of the water and empty the food via the tube. I bought a small acrylic...