LED lights for RSM 130D

Snowman

Hi guys, has anybody switched from using the power compacts on the 130d to LED Stunner strips. I was thinking of going with 2 12inch 12000k/445blues, and 1 12inch 453 blue only. Do you all think that would be enough for softies and LPS?

Thanks
Mike

magnetar68

These are very low watt LEDs strips (6W total) meant for supplemental accent lighting (color/shimmer effects), not growing corals. A rough guide is that you need about 1/2 the LED wattage to replace a conventional light, so for an RSM 130D with 110W of PC lighting, you would want somewhere around 50W of LED lighting. As the LEDs get more and more efficient, this number will drop. This kit here probably runs about 80W (48 3W LEDs): Red Sea MAX 130/130D - Modular LED.ca so I guess it could support SPS.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Hey Raymo... that's 28x3w LED but regardless it still comes in around the 80W range (84W).

Mike Raymo is correct in that those IMHO aren't replacement for light but supplemental. It really takes high output LED to replace your factory lights. I have the unit Raymo linked to and yes it supports SPS in fact it will support anything but it must be dimmed. I've been running it since November and I'm only up to 80% now.

Excellent advice Raymo :thumber:

magnetar68

Ray, do you have those setup in your RSM?

No. I built my own 300W fixture for my 120G. My RSM is not a macro algae seahorse tank, so I don't need a lot of lighting, but I am seriously thinking about upgrading to that kit. It seems well designed. BigAl likes it. I would like a more subtle on-off with the dimming and the reduced heat.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
No. I built my own 300W fixture for my 120G. BigAl likes it.
I LOVE it! Each and every day I say, "Dang I'm glad I finally did this for my RSM130D." :)

I would like a more subtle on-off with the dimming and the reduced heat.
Coupled with my ProfiLux it's awesome. Watching the lights slowly come on and ramp up then do the same in the evening rocks. Add to the clouds passing over and "Rainy Days" you get a sweet system. That's all before a "Thunder Storm" rolls through every night at 11pm and lightning kicks into HIGH gear :)