Who is running a reactor, and do I need to?

black2012

Sorry for the noob question - but how many people are running these? I do not have a sump and do not want a ton of clutter, but I am running a fairly heavy load of montipora and I understand that SPS benefit greatly from phosban reactors. They also look pretty cheap - 100 bucks or less for the reactor, media, and pump.

Easy to do? Worth it?

Thanks everyone!

black2012

Haha at that point i feel like i should have just build a custom tank with a sump - but I hear ya. Thanks for the advice.

Would a small sump/fuge do? As in no need for an in-sump skimmer?

jjmoneyman

RS Sponsor
A sump is a great place to hide all your crap like skimmer, heater, reactor if you want one, and the addition of a fuge would help as well.
In regards to your question about a reactor, I don't run one, but I run 2 skimmers and 2 fuges on one system. I believe in redundancy.

black2012

Got a firm no on the sump from my girlfriend. So back to square one - anyone running a reactor off the back or in the back sump?

Thanks

dson78

I was looking into the same thing, i don't have a sump and was thinking of installing a reactor in the rear chamber. I have seen a video on youtube with a Kent reactor in the rear chamber but i don't know what model or how it is set up. I will be watching this thread and hopefully someone can give us some ideas on how we can accomplish this.

black2012

I've also read that it's very easy to just hang it off the back. My RSM250 is up against a corner on it's left side so it would not be visible.

From what I've read, it seems like a no brainer to get a reactor for nitrates and phosphates, and this seems to fit the bill for under 100.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

magnetar68

I have had two TLF Phosban 150s hanging off of the back of my 130D. I had a sump, but it was very loud, so I went back to the Tunze 9002 and the two reactors handing off the back powered by by a Rio+ 400 under the Tunze. It worked great. I had GAC/GFO in one and Biopellets in the other. It worked great except that the 9002 did not pull quite enough bacteria out of the water, so cyano was a bit of a problem. But hanging the two reactors off the back was fine. They sit so low you could barely seem them adn the tops are black, so they were not noticeable.