Search results

1. C

New thing growing out of my live rock

Yep, they're vermitid snails. You guys nailed it. Thanks for your help. I also suspect the black/grey corn smut is actually some kind of barnacle. Thanks again. Boy I love this hobby.
  2. C

New thing growing out of my live rock

I have a couple pieces of live rock that are about 8 months old. There are small (3/4 inches) red sticks about the size of a pencil lead or smaller growing out of them. These sticks have a white spot on the end (mouth?) and I think they ooze a spider web looking string out of the end. Sorry...
  3. C

Baby Bangaiis in the house!!

I have a couple of cardinals (8 months old) that hated each other and stayed at opposite ends of the tank until last week. Now, they're inseparable and one kind of acts a little strange around the other. I'm hoping they are getting ready to breed. Did yours act kind of like clown fish , you...
  4. C

what is this algae!?

I have it and didn't know it was a problem. It's kind of fun watching it move all over the sand. Is there an almost flourscent emerald green variation of it also? (Yes I have that, too) Is it harmful or just a nuisance?
  5. C

Algae Question

My tank is about 6-7 months old and I have green algae growing all over the glass on the back of the tank. It's not growing on any live rock just on the glass. I am wondering if there is any real harm in letting it grow. It grows so much that chunks of it come off sometimes and float around...
  6. C

6-Legged Star Fish?

Ok, this critter got a suspended sentence. He's on probation. We'll see how he acts. I hope he behaves cause he's kinda cute. Thank you all for your input.
  7. C

info on raising peppermint shrimp

I have a book, How to Raise & Train your Pepperint Shrimp by April Kirkendoll. I got it on Amazon. It tells you everything you ever wanted to know about peppermint shrimp. I highly recommend it if you are considering raising them. The author has many insights about her experiences setting up...
  8. C

6-Legged Star Fish?

Ok, I was afraid of that. Thank you.
  9. C

6-Legged Star Fish?

Just wondering if anyone has seen a 6 legged star fish. He came off of my live rock that is about 6 months old in my aquarium. Does anyone know if he is the kind that eats coral? It's about 1/2 inch in diameter.
  10. Cute little 6 legged starfish?

Cute little 6 legged starfish?

Found this crawling around on my live rock. I thought starfish had 5 legs.
  11. C

Snail bothering my corals

I just found a couple of these hitchhikers around my corals. The corals are all closed up and not happy. I've removed them but the corals are still closed up after a few hours. Does anyone have experience with these things? Haven't seen them on the forums before. I'm sure they came with my...
  12. Killer snail?

Killer snail?

This guy was harassing my corals. Is he a problem or just trying to make friends? I have him in a measuring cup right now and he has crawled out above the water line to check things out. He came with my live rock I think.
  13. C

Helpful Hitchhiker ID sites~

Thank you Doni, I unfortunately found out what my "free" crab was that came with the live rock. I was happy to get a freebie until I found out that he is an xanthid crab who likes to eat my live rock. I wondered where all the pieces of live rock were coming from he was playing with. He was...
  14. C

Peppermints ate hammer!

I'm a real greenhorn, so you can take it for what it's worth, but I make sure and feed heavily before I add anything to my tank. That way the animals aren't looking for something for lunch.
  15. C

moving xenia - advice needed

I just bought some Kenya trees on Ebay. Did my best to acclimate them but this morning they are all bent over and dead looking. The guy had a heat pack in they styro box, but they were still pretty cold when they got here. I really like the looks of them but I think I'll wait until this summer...
  16. C

Did I do the right thing??

Welcome, I too am a newbie. You are in the right place. The people here are some of the most helpful you will find. Don't be afraid to ask questions-about anything. There are a ton of postings already on here that will help. Read, Read, and Read some more. I have found that there are very...
  17. C

Brine Shrimp Question

Hey BigAl07, how big are the brine shrimp you get at the LFS? I hatched some eggs a couple of weeks ago and they're still very small. Like smaller than a pin head. I had hoped they would get a little larger. As for the question about keeping them alive, these like I said are a couple of...
  18. C

Discussion about a photo contest rule.

I think that for all of the helpful advice the moderators freely give us, they should definitely be able to enter the competition. People who give of their time and knowledge to help further our education at least deserve our assumption that they are good, fair people. Thanks mods.
  19. C

"Why are my Zoanthids closed?" - Care, Pests, and Troubleshooting

Thanks, great informaiton. I just got 3 new frags and one of them is stretching it's stalk. I'll move him up in the tank. Never thought about that. A question, will they eat phytoplankton? I feed my tube worms live phyto and am wondering if they receive some good out of that as well.
  20. A life got saved-maybe

A life got saved-maybe

I read all of those posts about how bad all of the flake food is for our fish, so I went to the local grocery store with a good seafood counter and bought a couple of clams, mussels, oysters, shrimp, and scallops. I envisioned putting them in the blender with a little spinach and broccoli for a...