New thing growing out of my live rock

Comboverguy

I have a couple pieces of live rock that are about 8 months old. There are small (3/4 inches) red sticks about the size of a pencil lead or smaller growing out of them. These sticks have a white spot on the end (mouth?) and I think they ooze a spider web looking string out of the end. Sorry, they're so small I can't get a good picture of them. There's about 6 of them right now. There's been nothing come out of them like a feather duster at all that I've seen, just the tiny white spot on the end of the stick.

By the way for all of us newbies, the part about having patience with our aquariums is the best advice that I've gotten. Out of this same live rock, I have a white feather duster, a black feather duster and some brown coral, all growing out of it. I also have a small feather duster growing out of the live sand I put in the aquarium. All of this has taken about 8 months. It seems like now there is something new every day. I also have a black moldy looking thing that gets bigger and smaller, I don't have a clue what it is so if someone has an idea, I would be interested. It kind of looks like corn smut.

jcgardner

Sounds like a vermetid snail. I have a lot, I don't bother with them unless something is growing on them, like my mushrooms. They can irritate the corals.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
+1 VERMITID SNAILS

Xtalreef

The vermitid snail is yet another critter that lives in a tube. These filter feed by throwing out a mucous "net" to catch food. Most of the time, you won't see the worm but will be wondering what the "spiderwebs" in your tank are. Here's your culprit. They are harmless but can irritate corals if their nets are too close.

Comboverguy

Yep, they're vermitid snails. You guys nailed it. Thanks for your help. I also suspect the black/grey corn smut is actually some kind of barnacle. Thanks again. Boy I love this hobby.

Last edited:

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
You're welcome! Watching new live rock for critters is one of the most enjoyable parts of a reef tank. I still see something new once in a while, after over 3 years. Any chance of a picture of the "black moldy looking thing"? Maybe a sponge if it stays in one place.