what is this algae!?

heteloto

im not too familiar with algae yet. what is this, and how do i remedy it??

thanks

100_1538.jpg

lcstorc

Do a search on cyano.
Basically the same treatment as for any nuisance algae.
Reduce nutrients and increase water changes, Extra flow helps.

FishNerd

+1 Cyano, It is hard to keep under control. You will get it with start up or changes to your system. Reduce photo period and Nitrates. If all else fails I have done three sucessful treatments with Erythromycin, it is avaible at most fish stores as medication for fish. Follow directions exactly. It will not harm coral or fish. Increase flow rate to the area as well.

degibson84

I used poly-ox to get rid of mine just make sure you use a low dose. It is reef safe but i dont trust anything so i went with a little lower dose than what was called for and dosed for a little longer time.

heteloto

tank has been set up for a long time, i did just add more sand and more live rock. probably a spike.

I will keep a good eye on it and try the suggestions.

thanks guys!

That's not algae, it's a trumpet coral :p Ohhhh, you mean the stuff in the sand??? :lol: Yes, it's cyano. I'm quite familiar with the stuff. I started taking care of my brother-in-law's FOWLR tank a few months back because they didn't care for it too well. Anyhoo, they had a HORRIBLE cyano problem. Took me forever to get rid of it. First, find out where the nutrients feeding the algae are coming from. You have nutrients even if your tests are showing none. Algaes won't grow without nutrients to feed them. If your tests show 0ppm for nitrates, it's only because the algae is consuming it all. The most likely culprit for elevated nutrients is over-feeding. I made my brother-in-law cut back his feeding from daily to every three days. That helped tremendously. We also cut the lights for almost a week and covered the tank so it didn't get any ambient light. This is a FOWLR so no corals needing light. I think most people with coral tanks will cut lights for around three days. This will really help kill off any algaes.

+1 Cyano, It is hard to keep under control. You will get it with start up or changes to your system. Reduce photo period and Nitrates. If all else fails I have done three sucessful treatments with Erythromycin, it is avaible at most fish stores as medication for fish. Follow directions exactly. It will not harm coral or fish. Increase flow rate to the area as well.

It's a bad idea to add any medications directly to your tank.

Comboverguy

I have it and didn't know it was a problem. It's kind of fun watching it move all over the sand. Is there an almost flourscent emerald green variation of it also? (Yes I have that, too) Is it harmful or just a nuisance?