Search results

1. BigReepher

Louisville tank has to go.

I'm moving and the tank has to go. I have a variety miliporas, acros, live rock, some zoas and rics for sale. I'll sell frags or the whole colony. If you live near Louisville and your in the market for some corals, then you owe it to yourself to come see what I have. Whatever the locals don't...
  2. BigReepher

OT: LFS on Good Morning America

For those of you that don't know, I work at one of the premier pet shops in the Kentuckiana area. Sandy's Pet Shop. Okay enough modesty it's the best pet shop for hundereds of miles. I'm not say that because I work there, it really is. We've set the bar so high that most places around have...
  3. BigReepher

Powder Blue Tang

After watching this Powder Blue Tang for the last 3 weeks at the LFS, where I work, I decided he was too good to pass up. He eats everything I've thrown at him and looks as healthy as can be. I added him to the tank today and he seems to be enjoying himself. Just thought I share my excitement...
  4. BigReepher

BigReepher Returns

Hello BigReepher it looks like you haven't posted in........OVER A YEAR! First off let me just say I apologize for not posting while I was lurking, absolutely no excuse for it. I'm also still into reefs hot and heavy. Still learning and loving everyday. My 20g skimmerless tank is still goin...
  5. BigReepher

AWOL Hermits

OK, It's been way too long since I've been here. The tank has gone through hell and back and is still a bit in disarray. But I'll get to all that later. I had to jump on here and let everyone know about these very odd occurences. I have about a half dozen zebra hermits in my tank. I found one...
  6. BigReepher

STN (slow tissue necrosis)

I've had a touch of STN (slow tissue necrosis) on the base of my Efflo since late May. I've been playing the wait and see game for too long now. I've had STN before but it has always gotten better, this time it isn't. The infected area is under the Efflo, so it's in the shade and I believe this...
  7. BigReepher

HELP! Red Bugs!

I got red bugs. I'm past panic, I'm wiggin. My favorite coral, the purple acro with green polyps is pretty much gone. They've started on my purple tipped tricolor now. What should I do? Should I do the heartworm dip, iodine dip, turkey baste the buggers off, pull the infected corals out of the...
  8. BigReepher

Going DSB from BB

I've been BB for awhile now, and although I see the benefits, I still don't like the look. I've decided to go with a DSB or SB right over top of the starboard. My question is should I go ahead and add all the sand and CC all at once or add a little here and there? Will adding all that sand and...
  9. BigReepher

Acro Crab Experience

I recently purchased some corals that had what I thought were commensal acro crabs living in them. These crabs migrated from their original homes to two of my milleporas. After about a week of watching the mille's deteriorate, I removed the crabs and am happy to report that the corals are...
  10. BigReepher

Pinpoint Calcium Monitor

I picked up the new Pinpoint Calcium Monitor today. It makes testing calcium levels so much easier. I was wondering if anyone else has one or foresees a need for one. How important do you think calcium levels are?
  11. BigReepher

Got Millepora?

Got Millepora? Who has em? Let's seem em. Here are two I picked up about a month ago.
  12. BigReepher

ID Please

I picked this frag up yesterday. It came from a plating/scrolling cap looking colony that the guy had been growing out for the last six years. He didn't have any idea what it was and neither does the LFS. Does anyone have any idea what this is or point me in the right direction? TIA
  13. BigReepher

BigReepher's new75

I finally got my 75 gallon tank up and running. It's been sooooo long in the making. I've spent over a year and a half just reading and tryin my luck with hardy corals such as zoos and GSPs in a 20g. I mean I did a ton of reading and also asked a few questions in the planning process of this 75...
  14. BigReepher

Cooling Ballast?

I have 150W HQI Icecap ballast that get very hot. I was wondering if I should make an effort to keep them cool. If so, how should I go about doing it? Heatsinks, fans, or ? Also will keeping the ballast cool have any positive or negative effects on the ballast or bulb? TIA
  15. BigReepher

Cloosed Loop Plan?

Before I proceed I want to check with the masses to see if there are any flaws in my closed loop plan. Notice the sizes of the PVC. 1 1/4 up and over the tank lip to 1 1/2 on the back side into the pump then 1 inch out into SCWD with 3/4 inch coming out each side. I'm using the 1 1/4 on the...
  16. BigReepher

Tank support

My LFS has two AGA 210's that form a bridge on their stands. What I mean is the only part of the tank that touches the stand are the two ends. They said that the four corners are the only part of the tank that truly need support. That seems like an awful lot of weight to be supported by a piece...
  17. BigReepher

Closed Loop setup.

I'm trying to decide how to best hook up a closed loop. Over the top or drill holes in the back. I'll be using a Mag12 with a SCWD on a 75g. Having holes drilled seems like I'd have trouble getting to the pump (unions) for cleaning as I only have 5 inches between the wall and the back of the...
  18. BigReepher

Auto topoff methods

I'm trying to decide what method of auto topoff to use. I like the auto shut-off float valve kits, that run straight off of your RO/DI. However the powerhead in a container and a float actuated AC outlet seems less likely to pump a 100 gallons of water onto my floor. Is a shut-off float valve...
  19. BigReepher

Soaking Flake in RO/DI?

I've read in other post that insinuated that soaking flake food in RO/DI can help reduce phosphates. I understand that some flake food has high phosphates, but how does soaking it help reduce it? Do you soak and then drain off the excess RO/DI water? Could someone explain how this works and how...
  20. BigReepher

First Flood

Let's hear about your first flood. I just had my 10g sump crack and empty onto my bedroom floor. I heard the pump sucking air as soon as I walked in the door and I turned into Flash Gordon. I had everthing unplugged and put the shopvac to work before my wife even knew what had happened. My...