AWOL Hermits

BigReepher

OK, It's been way too long since I've been here. The tank has gone through hell and back and is still a bit in disarray. But I'll get to all that later. I had to jump on here and let everyone know about these very odd occurences. I have about a half dozen zebra hermits in my tank. I found one walking down the hallway shortly after introducing them to the tank. It was a surprise to see a hermit out of the tank, but I didn't think too much of it and dropped him back in. Two months or so later my wife found one laying on top of the computer speakers subwoofer, dead but still in its shell. The subwoofer is about 30 feet and in another room from the tank. Today I found another one laying behind the subwoofer. I was shocked and baffled. I therorized that they are drawn to the subwoofer for some reason. I took two zebra hermits, two scarlet hemits and two blue legged hermits out of the tank and placed them on the living room floor. They didn't flock to the subwoofer like I had anticipated. What in the world is going on here? To have 3 hermits get out of the tank is weird enough but to have two of them make it to the same resting place is beyond comprehension. Any ideas or similar occurences? This is blowing my mind here.

Little Luey

That is strange. Maybe they were looking for Nemo? LOL.
Why would you think they were going to the speaker? were you playing some music or something?

Witfull

studies have shown that evil doers are drawn to the driving bass beat of rock and roll and rap music. there could have been a scheduled rave party or crab-biker rally at he subwoofer. the ones you found deceased probably suffered the dehydrating effects of exstacy and the wonderer was so high he coould not find his way back home~

seriously, i think its coincidence

BigReepher

Yeah Travis I do have kids, ages 7 and 9, but they're too scared to put their hands in the tank much less touch a hermit. Plus the shells had carpet fibers on them. The tank is in my bedroom so the hermits had to travel trough my room, down the hall and then take a right into the living room where the computer is located. It's at least 30 feet. To have two of the three end up at the subwoofer (one on top and the other directly behind it) is proof enough to me that something is going on. I caught the first hermit making his way toward the living room before putting him back in the tank. They all were zebra hermits too, which is also strange. I'm thinking they were looking for the ocean and thats the best they could find. Maybe I didn't give them enough time out of water during my experiment. Time to try again. Muhahahahahhaaaaaa. :lol:
P.S. I did not know that exstacy had dehydrating effects.

Witfull

/me puts on Law Enforcement hat....exstasy raises the body temperature and raises the heart rate to the equivalent of a hi-cardio workout,and as a direct result, the body attempts to cool through perspiration. as a secondary effect, X users congregate in large dance parties, usually in overcrowded clubs. poor circulation, body heat and the effects of the drug all contribute to dehydration. combined, prolonged heart rate and dehydration result in tissue damage to the heart and brain, and have caused heart attacks and strokes in juviniles with no history of problems other than the use of X.

hat off~

reefjitsu

In addition to what Wit said, xtc users report that being well hydrated makes them "roll" harder. Ever wonder why when you go out to a club nowadays you will see as many people drinking water as you will spirits (I remember when you would get run out of a bar for asking for water). It ain't for the health reasons, its to get high. The x heads also like to order Red Bull or Red Bull and tequila, which has led to it becoming a popular drink. Sorry to get off track with this but I hate to go dancing now because of all the stupid rollers with their little eyes rolling back in their heads. It used to be when you went out you had to worry about not bumping into someone and starting a fight. Now when I go to the club I have to fight people off of me cause these damned rollers want to rub all over me and everything else like some cat in heat.

Ok back to the original point of the thread--- the hermits being attracted to the speaker may not be all that far fetched. I have heard of similar effects in other animals most notably insects. I remember few years back some friends of mine had converted a barn into a studio so they could practice their mixing skills. We noticed certain beats attracted those big black carpenter ants. I also have seen some scientific literature about how some caterpillars receive protection from ants by producing rythmic vibrations that are conducted through the plants they are on. Somehow the vibrations convince the ants to protect the caterpillars. Maybe they just like music too.

BigReepher

Very interesting Reefjitsu and Wit. Ya learn something new everyday. But if I find another hermit with his eyes rollin around, rubbin on my subwoofer with his dehydrated self, I'll be letting you guys and gals know.