Closed Loop setup.

BigReepher

I'm trying to decide how to best hook up a closed loop. Over the top or drill holes in the back. I'll be using a Mag12 with a SCWD on a 75g. Having holes drilled seems like I'd have trouble getting to the pump (unions) for cleaning as I only have 5 inches between the wall and the back of the tank. Going over the top of the tank lip seems more maintenance friendly but less attractive. What are the pros and cons of each setup and what sizes PVC should I use? TIA

Tosh_Auer

My opinion i would go with the holes because i think all the pipes look really ugly. why carn't you move the tank forward a bit when you empty it to get the holes drilled? JMO

wooddood

the wood dude
i just hooked up a mag 12 as my return pump and used my rio 32 hf [hyperflow] on a closed loop with a scwd. i mounted the rio on my the back of the tank stand so i only have about a 20 inch head before it hits the scwd and it's too much power for the scwd, not enought head pressure. so im going to have to move the rio down lower so i can loose some of the pressure. i just get to many micro bubbles in the display. i even have a ball valve and still cant throttle it back enough to get rid of the bubbles so more work to do. just something to think about. good luck.

BigReepher

Oops! I failed to mention that the tank is empty, so no problem there. Drilling holes is very permanent and I'm just concerned about having access to the plumbing. I'm thinking I may have trouble getting to the unions on both sides of the pump to remove it for cleaning or if there was a leak. With an over the tank lip approach I could remove the entire closed loop assembly for cleaning. I don't mind having to prime the pump since I probably won't have to do it very often. I'm leaning towards a canopy, so that would cover some of the plumbing. But on the other hand I may go open top since I'm using MH pendants, and a drilled tank sure would look cleaner. I'm just wondering if I'm missing some of the benefits and drawbacks of the two, since I don't have any experience with either.

wooddood

the wood dude
my 120 is'nt drilled either nate and the plumbing in the display does'nt look bad. if your background is dark or black like mine go with the schedule 80 grey pipe. lowes has it i know. good luck on what ever you decide though.:D

BigReepher

Hey Wooddood. You're going over the top if I'm not mistaken, right? I would think that going over the top would cut back on the gph, does it? Do you think I might get micro bubbles using the Mag12? EDIT: I'm always a post behind.

Last edited:

wooddood

the wood dude
you may be ok with the mag 12 but i would still add a ball valve so you can throttle it back if you have too. my rio 32 hf is 1920 gph and the scwd is only rated at 1400 gph i believe so you should be ok. i think im going to swith my mag 12 and use it on the closed loop and return the rio as my return pump. i'll let ya know:D

wooddood

the wood dude
no problem nate:D hey what part of louisville you live in? i lived in new albany up until 96 and worked all over kentucky and indiana installing satellite dishes. i have a lot of friends from louisville and southern indiana. i used to hang out a lot around st mathews. and threw alot of darts thier.

jks1

Nat if it were me, I would drill. What surface is the tank stand on? Carpet/tile/wood? I have mine drilled and i left about 12" between the wall and the back of the tank. I installed valves and unions so I can reach in from either side and remove a pump if I had too. I just think it will be a cleaner look and youll prob be happier in the long run if you drill.. JMO

BigReepher

Thanks jks1. It's on carpet. Do you think I could get the unions loosened up with 5-6 inches of room? It'll also be pushin a SCWD and I'll probably have unions on there too. I'm also thinkin I might kick myself if I don't drill.

Hey wooddood. I live pretty much in the middle of Louisville, just south of Churchhill Downs and Papa John's Cardinal Stadium. I used to throw soft tip back in 96-97, a few times in the St. Mathews area. Small world.

TDEVIL

over the top or drilled it is your choice ;)

but remember that the pvc will eventually be hidden with coraline anyways, but, your tank is at a point that it wouldnt hurt to think about drilling it

and another thing, FYI, when adding a ballvalve to cut back on the flow, install it before the pump (suction side) this will have less of an effect on the pump, most pumps cant handle the back pressure, i would still have one on the return side of the pump for cleaning, but for controling the pressure, i would have the valve on the suction side

keep us posted ;)

Jay

Last edited:

wooddood

the wood dude
naqte i just got done hooking up the mag 12 to a closed loop and it works great, the scwd is about a foot above the pump and the ball valve is wide open and no micro bubbles so your good to go with yours. t-devil brings up a good point about the back pressure so you may want to check into placement of the valve, mine is on the output side but it's wide open so it really does'nt matter in my case.good luck.

BigReepher

Good to know that I'll be ok with the mag12. Good point about the ball valve on the intake side TDevil. I think I'm gonna go ahead and drill it and hope for the best. Thanks again everyone.