Acro Crab Experience

BigReepher

I recently purchased some corals that had what I thought were commensal acro crabs living in them. These crabs migrated from their original homes to two of my milleporas. After about a week of watching the mille's deteriorate, I removed the crabs and am happy to report that the corals are recovering. I have a smaller version of one of these crabs living in an acro colony and another acro crab with the bandit eye markings that seem to coexist peacefully with their host. It seems these hairy guys have a fondness for millepora. This has been my experience with these crabs and I just wanted to share. Crabs are indeed evil. BTW these guys are larger than the pic makes them out to be.

Attachments

• Eviltwins.jpg
    Eviltwins.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 35

Gina

RS STAFF
They're still kinda cute!
Now, to run and hide from Wit! LOL

Great pic!

uchiha

are u sure those are acro crabs?

i was told these pictured below are acro crabs
1r6iit

they're symbiotic with many of the branching SPS corals; now i have 4 of these guys scattered among my birdsnest/millepora colonies and they're awesome little critters.

i guess the hairy crabs are considered bad, while the "not so hairy" crabs are a little safer :)

TDEVIL

yep them there be acro crabs

i have about 5 that are the good kind that are still in the tank, but the hairy ones go into the mantis tank :)

here is one i put in there a few months ago

Jay

Attachments

• evil crab 008 (Small).jpg
    evil crab 008 (Small).jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 29
I just pulled one of the hairy guys out of my green blue tipped stag last night and left the 2 smooth ones on it. So did I do it right or backwards?

TDEVIL

gussy said:
Those are not acro crabs...take it from the crab guy.

these are Tetralia or Domecia crabs (Family Xanthidae) the hairy ones are evil but the smooth shelled ones are usually peacefull

your ok Jim :)

Jay

TDEVIL

here is one i just found, missed it somehow :)
he will be the mantis's new play buddy

8005_001.jpg

Jay

mattie

RS Sponsor
i have never seen any acro crab that lookis like any of the one pictured. all of the ones i have seen were very white in color with a black band acros the front of the head and eyes
interesting...