Search results

1. l3fty999

Christmas present!

A while back I aquired a king damsel... and another, and another... two of them paired up and today they spawned. I know, I know, many people think damsels are more trouble than they're worth. If you're one of those people, you can stop reading right here. I'm just excited because this is...
  2. l3fty999

Wish me luck

Well, we've had a storm come through Southwest Washington and my power is out... I have a 4000 watt generator but I'm having trouble heating the house. I have 4 200 watt heaters in my 125 gallon reef tank but it's still down to 75 degrees. How cold can it get before I should start worrying...
  3. l3fty999

King Damsels

Well, I was at the lfs one day recently, and BAM the impulse buy bug bit me right in the a--. It was a damsel fish, so I felt pretty safe as far as it's needs, because I've had them before. I don't exactly recall the name they gave me, but I looked it up and it appears to be a "king...
  4. l3fty999

pulsing critter

So, anyone know what this is? It's less than a quarter of an inch across and at times will pulse rapidly. And yes, I know I have cyano and I'm dealing with it, just so you all know.
  5. l3fty999

Time lapse photography

I was wondering if anyone here has played with time lapse photography, you know, take a bunch of pics from the same spot and splice them together for a movie. I'm experimenting with it right now and the results are really interesting. If I get anything really noteworthy, I'll figure out how to...
  6. l3fty999

little red fuzzy things

These look pretty cool, but I'd like to know what they are. I was thinking maybe the little hairs are part of how it filters food out of the water?
  7. l3fty999

tank comes alive at night

I'm not real sure how they got in there, but I have a larval crustacean of some sort, it's either some kind of mysis or maybe a krill. I first noticed them when the main lights turned off and the moon lights turned on. At first, it appeared as though something stirred up a little debris, but...
  8. l3fty999

black slug

Ok, so what is this? It seems to be some kind of slug, only nocturnal, (caught it in the open by flashlight) and the few times I've seen it on the glass, it just seemed to be eating algae. I've been watching it for some time now, and it appears to be harmless. I just wondered if anyone else...
  9. l3fty999

centipede-like worm

I caught this worm under some of my live rock and I removed it. I don't mind bristle worms, since they're scavengers, but this is a little larger so I was wondering if somebody could tell me what it is. I tried to measure it, but it wouldn't cooperate very well. I could try to get different...
  10. l3fty999

pistol shrimp

check out this interesting find: I thought I had a mantis shrimp, but when I was transferring everything from my 75gallon to my 125 gallon tank, I found this little guy scurrying around on the sand. I really doubt it's harmful, and I will be keeping it. Just wondering about a specific...
  11. l3fty999

native tank?

Just wondering, has anyone here in the States attempted a native themed tank? I would be especially be interested in one done after streams and rivers in the Pacific Northwest. I myself toyed with the idea of using a long thin tank with powerheads to duplicate the flow of a river. I think...
  12. l3fty999

what kind of anemone is this?

Could somebody please tell me what these are? http://i585.photobucket.com/albums/ss297/kd7cam/P5190123.jpg I would appreciate it.
  13. l3fty999

Microscope

Hey, I was wondering, how many of you out there have the "Reefer's Microscope" from LiveAquaria.com? I just got one and I'm pretty happy with it so far... Aaron
  14. l3fty999

other worldly reefs...

I've seen the trailers for the new Star Trek movie, and having been a fan for a long time I began to think about strange new worlds... they've got to have oceans, and that would increase the chances of finding other life. Even if it was not intelligent life, what if you could eventually import...
  15. l3fty999

hello to all

Hi there, my name is Aaron and I'm a reef addict.... ok, I'm sure a few of you heard THAT line before... and yes I have more than one tank but that's why I am here. If there is anyone else in Southwest Washington State with a similar addiction, please do let me know, I feel as though there's...