Time lapse photography

l3fty999

I was wondering if anyone here has played with time lapse photography, you know, take a bunch of pics from the same spot and splice them together for a movie. I'm experimenting with it right now and the results are really interesting. If I get anything really noteworthy, I'll figure out how to upload them to Photobucket so they can be seen.

Aaron

l3fty999

Ok, nothing REALLY spectacular, but I thought this was pretty neat: critters.flv video by l3fty999 - Photobucket

also: bubble coral eating video by l3fty999 - Photobucket

All pics are taken with no current. Any movement you see is from the animals themselves. With the bubble coral, I wish I'd started sooner, like when the piece of krill actually landed on the coral. There are two polyps there, I fed the one on the left. I would really like some feedback, and if there's something you'd like to see, tell me. If you're interested in how I did it and what equipment I used, I will most certainly tell you that too. In fact, many of you may already have the equipment and not realize it...

Aaron

tektite

I'm going to make time lapse videos of my SPS growth when I get some. Just haven't started yet! I did make a nighttime timelapse with one of my hidden cup corals - I was highlighting its tentacles with a flashlight and it ate a copepod or something. It was kinda cool.

l3fty999

It is absolutely amazing what you see when you slow things down, isn't it? It's a whole different tank when you look at it like that. If anyone else has any time lapse video, please do post when it's done. This could get pretty interesting if we could get some time lapse of sps or lps corals. It's even interesting when you speed up zoanthids to "our time" and watch how they eat and interact with whatever else is close to them. I would like to do long term coral growth myself, but my camera sees frequent use besides aquarium photography. I think I may have a decent webcam somewhere, but I'll have to dig for it.

Aaron

tektite

Nothing great, but here's the hidden cup coral. It was already reaching for the food when I started.

Now if you want cloud timelapses - storms, sunsets, cloud growth - there I got some awesome ones :)

l3fty999

Nothing great, but here's the hidden cup coral. It was already reaching for the food when I started.

Now if you want cloud timelapses - storms, sunsets, cloud growth - there I got some awesome ones :)

Well, I think it's cool, let's keep'em coming!

Aaron

l3fty999

I thought the number of worms popping out of the rock was amazing!

Yes, we all have more worms than we think we do. I thought it was neat to see the spaghetti worms foraging for food the way they do. I played it several times before processing it for uploading, and saw something new each time.

Aaron

BLAKEJOHN

I would like to do a time lapse growth on my sps but I just found out today that most sps (acros) only grow about six inches per year. Well with kids and my photography work I cant let a camera sit on a tripod to that long. But I might do something.......

chipmunkofdoom2

I would like to do a time lapse growth on my sps but I just found out today that most sps (acros) only grow about six inches per year. Well with kids and my photography work I cant let a camera sit on a tripod to that long. But I might do something.......

Again, I think this would be very very cool.. I hope you can figure something out!

Every second of video needs between 24 and 30 frames to look fluid.. if you take one picture a day that would work out to be about 12-15 seconds of video. Could be cool... you could make a stand and set the camera on it and bring it out once a day and snap a pic.

imaccat

Here's a time lapse video I took the other day of my urchin.

[video=youtube;E401gP0c6rQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E401gP0c6rQ[/video]

20 mins down to 11 seconds.