black slug

l3fty999

Ok, so what is this? It seems to be some kind of slug, only nocturnal, (caught it in the open by flashlight) and the few times I've seen it on the glass, it just seemed to be eating algae. I've been watching it for some time now, and it appears to be harmless. I just wondered if anyone else had one or knew what species it was. I spent several hours researching and haven't yet come up with a positive ID. It does also have two antennas that are not easily seen (left end of the blob). I'm sure the answer is right under my nose, but that's what I get for staying up this late:dead:

Attachments

• PA270096a.JPG
    PA270096a.JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 71

IamELMO

A nudibranch (I think), maybe - Dendrodoris nigra

Failing that, maybe one of those black shell-less limpets?

l3fty999

Harmless, I'll find the thread with the ID. Mine has gotten very large but the only issue I have is that when it is touching one of my softies they pout. once it moves on then it is fine. It is just while they are touching. Amusing that you talk about it being on the glass. I have only seen mine there once. Other than that, it moves around the rocks.
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/reef-hitchhiker-id/23357-black-blob.html

Well, it was only on the glass just a few times, and only then because there was a rock close to it. So, how big is yours? Mine is roughly 2 inches long at the most.

Aaron

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
You got it Lynn

Failing that, maybe one of those black shell-less limpets?

it is not shell-less you just cannot see it in the pic