Wish me luck

l3fty999

Well, we've had a storm come through Southwest Washington and my power is out... I have a 4000 watt generator but I'm having trouble heating the house. I have 4 200 watt heaters in my 125 gallon reef tank but it's still down to 75 degrees. How cold can it get before I should start worrying? This really sucks... what a way to spend my birthday. I just got a new fish too...:cry1:

Aaron

Jeremy0322

Just do whatever you can to make it lose the heat as slow as possible, it will be able to withstand the drop better if it is lowered as slow as possible. I would also wrap the tank in a blanket, anything you can do to keep the heat inside the tank.

l3fty999

Just do whatever you can to make it lose the heat as slow as possible, it will be able to withstand the drop better if it is lowered as slow as possible. I would also wrap the tank in a blanket, anything you can do to keep the heat inside the tank.

That's what I'm doing now... I've also moved some heaters to the dt and left one in the sump and shut that pump down.

DaveK

While temp is a factor, it is much more critical to have you main return pump going. I hope you didn't shut that down. The heaters you have should be able to maintain the temp with only about 2 of them, assuming the room temp is more or less normal.

l3fty999

While temp is a factor, it is much more critical to have you main return pump going. I hope you didn't shut that down. The heaters you have should be able to maintain the temp with only about 2 of them, assuming the room temp is more or less normal.

I had shut the pump down in an effort to keep from losing heat through the sump. My tank is way below capacity as far as stocking levels go, so I figure I was ok there anyway. Due to the length of the outage, and the fact that I have only electric heat, room temperature dropped below 60 degrees. Anyway, as of 3:30 this morning, I have power again and so far everything seems to have come through ok.

Aaron