pulsing critter

l3fty999

So, anyone know what this is? It's less than a quarter of an inch across and at times will pulse rapidly. And yes, I know I have cyano and I'm dealing with it, just so you all know.

Attachments

• P1010016.jpg
    P1010016.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 191

Jess

Oh ok I see it. Well I zoomed way in and it looks like it could be a tiny baby feather duster/christmas tree worm of sorts. Not sure why it would be pulsing though...unless its just doing its thing in the current....

l3fty999

Oh ok I see it. Well I zoomed way in and it looks like it could be a tiny baby feather duster/christmas tree worm of sorts. Not sure why it would be pulsing though...unless its just doing its thing in the current....

I do have a short video I will try to post on Photobucket in a few minutes.

Aaron

Jess

Ya Aaron that's what it's doing...just says buffering but never plays. High speed connection..... Maybe if I just leave it alone... :)

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
The video plays fine for me. It looks like a small feather duster type, but none of mine have ever done that pulsing, so no idea what is is. Even my barnacles don't have that type of action. Maybe it's a duster irritated by the cyano?

l3fty999

Ya Aaron that's what it's doing...just says buffering but never plays. High speed connection..... Maybe if I just leave it alone... :)

I would let it sit for a few minutes, and if that doesn't work, I'll try to reduce it's size so it will play properly. It was originally in quicktime format and I don't currently have anything that will convert it to a smaller bitrate. It is, in my opinion, a major manufacturing flaw with my camera.

Aaron

l3fty999

The video plays fine for me. It looks like a small feather duster type, but none of mine have ever done that pulsing, so no idea what is is. Even my barnacles don't have that type of action. Maybe it's a duster irritated by the cyano?

Well, I have since carefully removed the cyano and it seems to have quit pulsing, so I think you're right there. I've gotten out the magnifying glass and found a few more close to it and some white ones on the other side of the tank. I'm willing to bet they've been there for a while and I just haven't notice them since they're so small. My dad, who's not nearly as interested in the hobby as I am spent quite a bit of time looking once I handed him the magnifying glass. For that matter, everyone that looks at my tank through a magnifying glass does that.:D

Aaron

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
Terry is correct it is a fan worm pulsating, as in opening and closing its duster top like you open and close your hand. It is trying to increase water flow to pic up more food or it is doing this as it does not like the water around it and can not move. More than likely a food thing

l3fty999

Well, I've done some more looking and they appear to have very fine tentacles. I know the picture is blurry, but it does show what I've found.

Attachments

• P1010020.jpg
    P1010020.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 62

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
It sure does look like a jellyfish pulsating. I'll await an opinion by Boomer and others.

seafansar

I thought it looked like a jellyfish pulsating in the first video, but definitely one in the second video. Acts like a baby upside-down jelly, but doesn't quite look like one. Maybe it will when it gets bigger or just another species that sits upside-down. Interesting HH to say the least!