Christmas present!

l3fty999

A while back I aquired a king damsel... and another, and another... two of them paired up and today they spawned. I know, I know, many people think damsels are more trouble than they're worth. If you're one of those people, you can stop reading right here. I'm just excited because this is the first marine fish I've ever been able to maintain well enough that they've felt like breeding. But, as Paul B said in one of his posts, that is one of the Signs of a healthy tank. I wasn't expecting this, but I've done some research today and I will be doing what I can to raise the fry and I will document this if they survive long enough.

Aaron

CONGRATS that is awesome. I love damsels as well I wish i had them in my tank when i started. They are such colorful fish its amazing. Could you get pics of these babies?

l3fty999

CONGRATS that is awesome. I love damsels as well I wish i had them in my tank when i started. They are such colorful fish its amazing. Could you get pics of these babies?

When they hatch, I will try to do so. If many hatch, I may risk putting one under the microscope and then I'll get a detailed picture. This is the first batch and as far as I know, it's the first for this pair as well, so we'll see how it goes. Wish me luck!

Aaron

Frankie

RS STAFF
Very cool. I too am a huge damsel fan. Actually, Petite my yellow tailed damsel is the only one I have right now. After breaking down my tank I did not have the heart to give him away so I set up the 60 gal frag tank just for him. :)
As always, we need some pictures! ;)

l3fty999

Very cool. I too am a huge damsel fan. Actually, Petite my yellow tailed damsel is the only one I have right now. After breaking down my tank I did not have the heart to give him away so I set up the 60 gal frag tank just for him. :)

I'll try to do that as soon as I can.;)

Aaron

l3fty999

Well, the nest is not located where it can be photographed, but here's a picture of the male.

Attachments

• King_damsel.JPG
    King_damsel.JPG
    35.3 KB · Views: 78

l3fty999

Well, they've hatched! I'm just taking a short break from transferring them to a smaller, predator-free nursery tank. This is just absolutely amazing...

Aaron

l3fty999

Well, it doesn't look like the first batch is going to amount to anything, but I didn't really expect it to. I wasn't able to catch many of the fry and it seems they have a high mortality rate to begin with. However, it seems like they want to continue to spawn, so it looks like I'll get more practice.

Aaron

l3fty999

Well, it seems like I'm not having any luck at this. I guess it's time to do some more research and figure out what I'm doing wrong.