Recent content by scubamattv

1. scubamattv

How to Post a Picture - RS hosted

Saxon pila - One way to reduce the size of the file would be to save it as a lower quality jpg on your pc. I'm not sure what file types the site accepts, but you could also save it as a different file type (.gif or .tiff) and that may reduce the file size.
  2. scubamattv

Liverocknreef.com...anyone???

I know this is reviving an old thread... but I was thinking about getting the winter special from liverocknreef (https://www.liverocknreef.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=8357) to start my 90 gallon. I'm currently in the filtering RO/DI water and filling/leak testing the tank phase.. but I'll...
  3. scubamattv

Hello again

Hi all, It's been a few years since I posted.. I recently moved, so I'm moving my old 20 gallon into a new 90 gallon setup. My clownfish Scuba and Diver won't know what to do with all the extra space. Though they'll have to wait a while, the new tank isn't set-up yet. I'll be able to...
  4. scubamattv

Mask Question

I usually wish people the exact opposite.. seeing sharks is awesome!
  5. scubamattv

Mask Question

I know its a little late, but... Most of the frameless masks I've seen are actually low volume (thats why I bought mine). A high volume shouldn't really change your air consumption all that much. If it gets flooded and its a high volume mask, it will require a little more air to clear it, but...
  6. scubamattv

scuba gear

For a BCD I'd go with a wing not the jacket style.. there are many good brands out there, Dive Rite, OMS, zeagle.. the trick is to find something that you are comfortable with. Find a good dive shop near you and talk with them too. Sometimes you can get them to lower the price for you...
  7. scubamattv

Underwater camera

I've used the canon powershot cameras... the housing for them cost about the same as the camera. I think the housings are rated to ~130 ft. Its no DSLR with fancy strobes, but I've gotten some good pictures out of it.
  8. scubamattv

Palau and Yap

Anyone do any diving in Palau or Yap? I'm headed there in April and can't wait to see some awesome corals (and hopefully lots of sharks)! Any good dive stories?
  9. scubamattv

I love to dive!!!!

I'd believe it.. the grouper get really big.
  10. scubamattv

I love to dive!!!!

Here's a couple more pics..
  11. scubamattv

I love to dive!!!!

there's also a Goliath grouper in the last pic.
  12. scubamattv

I love to dive!!!!

Here's some pics of the nurse sharks i saw
  13. scubamattv

crab eating a snail

I have a hermit crab that feasts on snails and shrimp. I've lost countless snails to him.. he's also suspected of killing the skunk cleaner shrimp and peppermint shrimp (and eating every trace of evidence).
  14. scubamattv

Refugium

When i drilled my 10 gallon tank I cracked 2 tanks before i got one right (luckily they're cheap). I found that if everything wasn't perfectly level it was probably going to crack. I drilled a few practice holes after i had 2 tanks with cracked sides.
  15. scubamattv

more water questions...

My understanding is that during the cycle you do not do a water change to get the ammonia down. you want the bacteria to develop that will be your biological filter on the rock (the point of having live rock). As the bacteria develop, your ammonia levels will go down, first they'll convert the...