more water questions...

medicern

Good Morning reefers...
This morning I tested my water and this is what i found...
SG: 1.022
pH: 7.8
Alk: 240
trite: 0
trate: 20
Amm: 1.0
Temp: 75

I put in my LR on Saturday, but didn't put a shrimp in. I'm thinking I should proabably do a WC to get that ammonia down. Agree? I also think my SG is a little low. When I do a WC I will make my new water to a slightly hight SG and that should help adjust it. I want to add my CUC today, but I'm nervous about the water. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

scubamattv

My understanding is that during the cycle you do not do a water change to get the ammonia down. you want the bacteria to develop that will be your biological filter on the rock (the point of having live rock). As the bacteria develop, your ammonia levels will go down, first they'll convert the ammonia to nitrites and then nitrates.

chipmunkofdoom2

The purpose of a cycle is to prepare the tank for the waste fish will produce (ammonia). By reducing the ammonia, you reduce the amount of bacteria that colonize the rock, reducing the ability of your tank to process waste.

This question is frequently asked, and it leads me to believe that people are a little confused about what a cycle is or does. Do NOT change water during the cycle because you see ammonia. This is the only time it's okay to see ammonia in your tank.

Also, as a side note, I'd raise your salinity to around 1.025. 1.022 is a little low. The temp could use a little bump too, most people prefer around 78*.