crab eating a snail

redneckgearhead

Caught him red clawed.....

I caught my scarlet hermit eating one of my turbos today not sure if the crab needed a new shell or the if hes just doing his job. But I did notice the trap door was busted on the turbo so who knows. I have plenty of shells in the tank, so Im just gonna assume hes doing his job. I think its funny that theres a snail on top of the hermits shell like its trying to pull him off his buddy. lol

Attachments

• crab eating snail.JPG
    crab eating snail.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:

redneckgearhead

The crab is just evil!
Yea I had to banish him to the sump! He went on a rampage! Its funny my other scarlet is just fine and never bothers the snails (yet). But even after putting a piece of shrimp in there for him he was trying to go after the turbos.
i would guess he wants the shell
He ate the snail and left the shell so thats not it. Maybe it looked roomier from the outside. lol

scubamattv

I have a hermit crab that feasts on snails and shrimp. I've lost countless snails to him.. he's also suspected of killing the skunk cleaner shrimp and peppermint shrimp (and eating every trace of evidence).

redneckgearhead

I typically dont mind an occasional snail becoming the victom of a hungry crab but this guy was on his second snail in as many days and seemed to favor snail over the piece of shrimp I put right next to him so he had to go.