Mask Question

lbiminiblue

Hey guys, not sure how big our diving/SCUBA crew is here, but I have a question for all of you who might know: I just bought a Riffe frameless mask, and I love the visibility I get from it- there's no bridgepiece for the nose, only a little mold for it. There's just one big lens. Only problem I think i MIGHT have is that it's a high volume mask- more air in it since there's only a small nose piece. People say this makes it harder to equalize underwater, and that you need to blow more air out which means you have less air to use. If I'm going to be using the mask in about 30 feet of water, will this be a problem?

scubamattv

I know its a little late, but... Most of the frameless masks I've seen are actually low volume (thats why I bought mine). A high volume shouldn't really change your air consumption all that much. If it gets flooded and its a high volume mask, it will require a little more air to clear it, but you should still be able to do it in one breath (its OK if it takes more than 1 breath though). As long as you can pinch your nose, equalization shouldn't be an issue, and the volume of the mask should not affect equalization (unless you are talking about equalization of the air space in the mask itself to avoid mask squeeze, then a short exhale until the mask isn't sucking your face off should do the trick). Fit and comfort are the most important traits of a mask, if it fits and its comfortable, you picked the right mask.

-Matt
NAUI Divemaster #53958

lbiminiblue

I usually wish people the exact opposite.. seeing sharks is awesome!

haha you know what i mean, i'm doing spearfishing, so sharks and dead fish in water=trouble for everyone. I like seeing them, but just so long as we haven't speared any fish recently. But the mask worked well enough, my eyes took a beating when I dove to the bottom and didn't equalize my mask, couldn't focus for a while. But thanks for the info. The mask fits and is comfortable. I'll put up some videos.

Last edited:

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Did you bring home a fish? Just in case I miss the video....maybe you could post a link here? :D
Sounds like a great adventure!! I only snorkel and try to NOT think about sharks while doing that :yup:

lbiminiblue

Did you bring home a fish? Just in case I miss the video....maybe you could post a link here? :D
Sounds like a great adventure!! I only snorkel and try to NOT think about sharks while doing that :yup:

no i didn't bring one back, but i will later. No sharks this time, just barracudas, big ones-around 4-5 feet long. Yes I'll post the links here as well as on an OT vacation thread.