Recent content by mt79

1. M

first sump

www.melevsreef.com has all the info you can handle on sumps lol. It was very helpful for me.
  2. M

PVC for flow?

"Edit.. I just did some research & saw where the mag pumps recommend 1" pipe, So I guess you are doing it correct." The instructions that come w/ Mag pumps recommend using plumbing that is twice the diameter of the output on the pump to acheive the flow rates they advertise for each model.
  3. M

PVC for flow?

"found out that the mag 12 will drain the water when power is off" The return tubes in the display tank will maintain a siphon until the water level is below them. You can avoid this by drilling a 1/8" hole approx. 1" below the water surface on each return pipe to break the siphon. I like...
  4. M

Burn Baby Burn

Damn.... Marineland Stealth heaters come w/ a lifetime warranty but I wouldn't count on it lasting 20 years let alone finding the receipt after that long lol.
  5. M

xenia=damsels

It is by far the "stinkiest" coral I've come across-nothing smells like Xenia! It is a very fast growing coral and any polyps that "get away" while trimming/fragging will start a new colony fairly quickly. The positive side to that, unlike damsels, is it doesn't ship well, so many fish stores...
  6. M

Anenome

Be cautious. Overfeeding, whether it be to often or just too much each time, can be detrimental to an anemones health. Digestion can be taxing on the health of the animal. Feeding small pieces is best. Something about the size of a pencil eraser or smaller. Also in my experience Sebae anemones...
  7. M

Anenome

That anemone is somewhat bleached. It does not look beyond repair but it should not be clear anywhere, especially the oral disc. "Clear" is an indication of a loss of zoxanthellae. The best treatment for bleached anemones is gradual introduction to proper lighting and/or regular- every several...
  8. M

sump baffle design

How are they set up? It looks like over-under. Sounds like a good idea. I assume the shorter side faces the pump.?
  9. M

Question about sump baffle height - (long)

For what it is worth an easy way to calculate how much water an area in a tank will hold is- LxWxH/231=Volume in gallons.
  10. M

sump baffle design

I got the sump up and running yesterday. Everything looks good except I'm having some micro-bubble issues. I'm going to add an "under" right before my return pump. Water splashing into the return chamber is causing the bubbles. If that doesn't work then I may have to throttle the pump down some...
  11. M

building a sump

I'm in the process of building a sump w/ a CPR overflow. This site is very helpful for DIY and general info- http://www.melevsreef.com/allmysumps.html
  12. M

Jellyfish plague in Japan

"...and carried by ocean currents, monstrous jellyfish weighing up to over 400 pounds and with a diameter of over six feet are invading the Pacific side of Japan, Asahi." 400lbs of jelly fish :eek:
  13. M

Replacing ro/di filters...

I bought an add on DI unit from buckeye.com for under $40 including resin/refillable cartridge. That's also where I buy DI resin from. It's a great site, very good prices and service.
  14. M

Well I'm starting w/ about 300 tds from the tap, it fluctuates up and down some, and I'm getting 12 after the new RO membrane. That's 96% rejection rate-not bad in my opinion considering it's a 24 gpd unit.The higher the TDS of the tap the higher the TDS of the final product. There are also...
  15. M

I think 90% is the minimal efficiency that should be tolerated. After that your just exhausting DI resin faster and in turn spending more $$. For what it is worth w/ my old RO membrane (18 months of use) I was getting 50+ tds w/ tap at 295. With a brand new membrane I'm only getting 12.