xenia=damsels

gaubow

When I setup my first tank, I of course, started with damsels. They were the cheapest, had good appearance and were hardy! Now, I know better than to ever add one to my tank.

When I started to get the coral "bug", I heard that pulsing xenia was cheap, had a cool appearance and was hardy. Now, I cannot get rid of the stuff. I pull out as much as I can, and within a week, I have the stuff growing everywhere... on my rock, my overflows, my glass, my fish! ( ok, not my fish, but i would'nt doubt it!)

When I yank it out to get rid of it, it smells my hands up so bad, that I have to wash them three and four times.

Anyone else see pulsing xenia as a pain in the buttocks?!

Little Luey

Not me, I also started with Xenia, it was a gift from Thaser on a local meeting when I lived in NW Indiana. I actually like the movement and hardiness of Xenia, of course my tank is not overrunned by it at this time. I actually looked for a Xenia frag this second time around. It does smell kind of bad, but I like it.

blondie323

I wish I had your problem, I baugh a small frag cost me $45 (cnd) As soon as I got it home it stopped pulsing, lost all it's color then just shriveled up and died:tears:

mt79

It is by far the "stinkiest" coral I've come across-nothing smells like Xenia! It is a very fast growing coral and any polyps that "get away" while trimming/fragging will start a new colony fairly quickly. The positive side to that, unlike damsels, is it doesn't ship well, so many fish stores will issue store credits for frags.

blondie323

I wish I lived on the same happy planet as you do mt79. Here in quebec all you get from your lfs is attitude and OH WELLS when you try to get anything from them...it really sucks here as far as lfs's go. If you are really lucky they will knock off $5 on your next purchace.

gaubow

Don't get me wrong... I like love the way that it looks. I am a huge fan of corals that move with the water flow. That's what it's all about if you ask me. It's just that this xenia is out of control. I have friend that I keep giving some too, and it won't take in his tank.

I would rather clean my skimmer cup 10 times a day than have to remove more xenia.

OK, I am done complaining about this beautiful, bountiful coral!

blondie323

I would love to try having another one as I know have more water flow, a skimmer and am adding more light for my coral.I will wait till my lighting project is done(hopefully this weekend)

Do they require heavy, medium, or light water flow? every lfs that I go to tells me something different.

KimPossible

Xenia has often been termed "Reef Weed", it can over take tanks and is difficult to eradicate.
I have not had this experience and luv my xenia.