PVC for flow?

kromebusa

Ok, I am putting my sump together, I am using 1" PVC out of the overflow into the sump. Water travels through and is pumped back up into my 80gal tank via a mag12. I went with 1" on the return also. I am bringing it up the back and using 90 degrees to form a U to hang over the tank. using a reducer I dropped down to 3/4" wich should give me pretty good pressure coming out. I plan on running "T's" and 90's off the 3/4" to set up flow to bounce off glass. It will run from both sides.

Question: Has anyone else done this? Is it feesible to have enough flow from this to take out all my powerheads?

Attachments

• TANK DESIGN.jpg
    TANK DESIGN.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 46

cioutlaw

I dont see any reason to use 1" on the return. ...doesent a Mag12 have 3/4" connections? The 1" pipe & 90s will have less restriction but will be very minimal.

Edit.. I just did some research & saw where the mag pumps recommend 1" pipe, So I guess you are doing it correct.

mps9506

Def. use 1" pvc, however depending on what you are keeping it may or may not be enough flow. I found the hardest thing to do was ensure you have enough flow in all the right areas, as opposed to having enough gph in the tank. That is the nice thing about powerheads, very easy to move around and get flow to the right spots.
My guess is that the mag12 return along with a closed loop or two more powerheads will give you sufficient flow for most stuff, if you get into hard corals buy a tunze or seio pump.

kromebusa

got it all plumbed out today, ran like a champ, found out that the mag 12 will drain the water when power is off. THAT is how you all are flooding your living rooms! My wife was very happy that I tested in the garage with a garbage can. I am assuming a simple one way valve at the pump will take care of this problem?

mt79

"found out that the mag 12 will drain the water when power is off"

The return tubes in the display tank will maintain a siphon until the water level is below them. You can avoid this by drilling a 1/8" hole approx. 1" below the water surface on each return pipe to break the siphon. I like using two holes in each just in case one gets clogged or covered by a snail at the worst possible time.

mt79

"Edit.. I just did some research & saw where the mag pumps recommend 1" pipe, So I guess you are doing it correct."

The instructions that come w/ Mag pumps recommend using plumbing that is twice the diameter of the output on the pump to acheive the flow rates they advertise for each model.

cioutlaw

mt79 said:
"Edit.. I just did some research & saw where the mag pumps recommend 1" pipe, So I guess you are doing it correct."

The instructions that come w/ Mag pumps recommend using plumbing that is twice the diameter of the output on the pump to acheive the flow rates they advertise for each model.

I read that online ...thought it was strange being they have a 3/4" connection.

kromebusa

yeah, the more I read, the general rule of thumb is to double your output connection. Don't know how this takes into account the pressure of the pump, I guess they assume you are using a large enough pump for the return pressure.