Anenome

Yarr

I have had the lil fella in my tank for a fe wmonths now.. arrived there from somewhere... Need help with some ID

Is clear/white with purple tips. lays more flat then high. I wil see fi i can get a pic of him so you can all have a look.. his arms are quite thick.

Yarr

hitcher.jpg

thats the best photo i could get of the little bugger, camera had a real hard time focussing. I wish i got a digi camera with manual focus!

Yarr

mm there is a corynactis australis but i cant find any with those colours and looks kinda different to me atleast.

mt79

That anemone is somewhat bleached. It does not look beyond repair but it should not be clear anywhere, especially the oral disc. "Clear" is an indication of a loss of zoxanthellae. The best treatment for bleached anemones is gradual introduction to proper lighting and/or regular- every several days- SMALL feedings of meaty foods ie. shrimp, krill, etc. It looks "Sebaeish" to me too, possibly Heteractis Malu or something similar.
Edit-could also be a Condy sp.

Last edited:

Yarr

I never really target fed it til last night. it seems to devour a decent chuck of food. I turned one of the pumps off to feed it and it became REALLY small. I thought it was going to die. but after i fed it it came back out and os looking pretty good.. still kind aclear though. ah well. we'll see what happens

mt79

Yarr said:
I never really target fed it til last night. it seems to devour a decent chuck of food.

Be cautious. Overfeeding, whether it be to often or just too much each time, can be detrimental to an anemones health. Digestion can be taxing on the health of the animal. Feeding small pieces is best. Something about the size of a pencil eraser or smaller. Also in my experience Sebae anemones, if that is in fact what you have, would prefer to get the majority of their energy from a proper light source rather than supplimental feedings. They are more easily stressed by over feeding than say Bubble-Tips. All the more reason to use caution.

Yarr said:
still kind aclear though. ah well. we'll see what happens
With good lighting, good water, and proper feeding it should bounce back fairly quickly. Once the zooxanthellae comes back you can lay off the supplimental feedings. Good luck

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
From the purple tips it appears to be either a Malu or Condylactis. If the anemone is bleached and it appears so then supplemental feeding will be necessary for it to return to health lighting alone won't do it. I would feed small pieces of shrimp or fish a couple of times a week will suffice.

How does the anemone react when you feed it ? Is it sticky to the touch ?
If it is a Malu these anemones don't do very well in captivity they need strong lighting and strong random flow to do well for any lenght of time. They also grow very fast and become quite large mine grew 9" in 8 months so be careful to keep any corals away from it, they've got some pop in their sting !

Yarr

Thanks a lot for evryones advice.

It is tinty right now.. about the diameter of a dime i think.. silly american currency :p I cant tell if it is sticky to the touch or not. I might see if i can move it a bit higher to the lights as my lighting is quite less than adequete. It racts like any other when feeding it.. closes over and hooks in and eats what i give it.. i will keep an eye on it. it looks real nice so i wanna see if it can live if i can :)

Yarr

The lil fella seems ot be doing much better now. I moved him high up in the tank and have started to target feed him every few days. Has gotten a bit more colour in him and seem to be enjoying life atm :)

Nucem

Yarr said:
Thanks a lot for evryones advice.

It is tinty right now.. about the diameter of a dime i think.. silly american currency :p I cant tell if it is sticky to the touch or not. I might see if i can move it a bit higher to the lights as my lighting is quite less than adequete. It racts like any other when feeding it.. closes over and hooks in and eats what i give it.. i will keep an eye on it. it looks real nice so i wanna see if it can live if i can :)

Off topic but curious if other countries feel the way we do about foreign currency screwing up vending machines like Canadian change does for us? If it is even a problem at all.

Yarr

the only coin we see in any great amount flaoting about is New Zealand money.. as it is pretty much the same as ours it works fine.

Nucem

Thanks YARR :)
Just one of those questions I've wondered about sometimes as I was sent here and there by Uncle Sam :dryer: