sump baffle design

AzOcean709k5

here is my 30gal sump fuge,return. <in that order> the baffles are 1 1/2 apart 12 in high, the width of the tank. i have a second set of baffles that go to the return, at the base of that i have a porous sponge . the water fall is very smooth on both sets of baffles and creates no micro bubbles at all...the first i have a 45 degree kick back 1 inch in width...the return baffles i took a razor knife and 45'd the edge of the 1/4 thick plexiglass. this creates a smooth flow with no splashing. These pics i didn't have my sand , rock or cheato in yet. that was the day i hooked it all up...has been running forever now with no bubbles.

Attachments

• small pic.jpg
    small pic.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 154
  • small fuge2.jpg
    small fuge2.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 153

AzOcean709k5

man those pics are small...i dropped them to 50 kb...how do i get um bigger? LOL the other forum i go to , they cant be no bigger than 500x500 pixels, they are huge on that forum.

mt79

AzOcean709k5 said:
i have a second set of baffles that go to the return, at the base of that i have a porous sponge
How are they set up? It looks like over-under.
the return baffles i took a razor knife and 45'd the edge of the 1/4 thick plexiglass. this creates a smooth flow with no splashing.
Sounds like a good idea. I assume the shorter side faces the pump.?