Recent content by Herman

1. Herman

need to buy a ro/di unit

Ok everyone, I realy need some input here!, I will be moving soon and will need to buy a ro/di unit and I know crap about them! Where I live now we have well water and my tanks have done great with no purificaton systems for years! (lucky I know) but when I move I will be on tampa's wonderful...
  2. Herman

phytoplankton

Well, realy the only reason I even want to add it is for my baby clam, its only about 2.5 - 3 inches long and I have heard that wee little ones need weekly feedings other than that all other tank residents have always done very well without it. and yes lol when i clean the glass i guess it gets...
  3. Herman

phytoplankton

any one? no?, well shoot I guess I will just try it out then. although i was hoping for more feedback!
  4. Herman

phytoplankton

Yes I know this is not the best "green water" to grow, however I do have 30 gallons of it that I can bottle and give a try at as i figuere what the heck, my other option is a much needed water change and scrubbing! not sure the only thing I do know is I realy need to start growing my own as...
  5. Herman

phytoplankton

Now I know phytoplankton is a great reef food, but what I am wondering is it just algea? like the name brand "DT'S" what actually is it? I ask this because I have a 30 gallon quarentine tank that has been running for months while remaining empty and very neglected and the water has become...
  6. Herman

canopy thickness?

Yeah, that is my line of thinking too! thinner sounds much better I just didnt know if the people saying 3/4 had run into heat issues or problems with the fans vibrating and humming. im thinking about the UV plexiglass to keep some of the heat out of the tank as I REALY HOPE i wont be instantly...
  7. Herman

canopy thickness?

Ok, everyone what thickness plywood is recommended for building a canopy? I hear most recommend 3/4 but i am considering making mine from 1/2 plywood, any one know if this might be a problem? 3/4 seems awfull heavy. it will be to house 2 175w MH and 2 96w CF acitinics with four fans and...
  8. Herman

metal halide ballast

Ok folks, I recently purchased off of ebay a manetek 1130-91r ballast does anyone know if this ballast needs a probe start or a pulse start bulb? I have been having trouble with a cheap(ebay) bulb that wont start and i am thinking because its a pulse and not a probe. I think my ballast is a...
  9. Herman

metal halide wont stay lit!!!!

Well folks I went to homedepot and picked up a 175w bulb, brought it home and it fired right up! so now I guess I need to find a new bulb! too bad the home depot bulb cant be used on the tank! oh well i guess thats good news. I just need a bulb not a ballast. thanx for the input everyone...
  10. Herman

metal halide wont stay lit!!!!

This is driving me crazy!!! I bought a 175w 10,000k metal halide off ebay(new and straight from china) wich i stored away until today when my ballast came in, put it all together and it wont stay lit!! it comes on for about 15 to 30 seconds then goes out! it will try to refire again shortly of...
  11. Herman

overflow adjustments?

Well, it turns out Im just a moron, I was losing siphon. after adjusting the inner box up it started working perfect! it just took some playing with! thanx all!
  12. Herman

overflow adjustments?

Ok, I recently dumped my 2 hob filters and went with a hob overflow and 15 gal sump with a mag 7. my question is how do i adjust my overflow to restart after power failure? it never realy loses siphon it just doesnt restart at a high enough flow to outrun the return pump! I am using a durso...
  13. Herman

Need Opinions !!!!

I have a 55 with what I think are two 350's (walmart) allthough only one has wheels, I have had realy good luck so far but im also planning on adding a 10gal walmart tank as a sump so I can hide all this stuff! I too have a 260pc and skimmer so our setups are similar so i can honestly say plan a...
  14. Herman

glass sump ?????

Ok, let me in on this one! I hav been planning this very act. I too have a 55gal and want to use a 10gal as a sump! I have very limited room under my stand so not much more would fit, i might be able to go taller but not wider so my options are few. the main reason I want to do this is I want...
  15. Herman

lazy leather

Just wanted to say thanx all for the advice! I moved my leather to a rather dark area yet he seams to realy like it! he has been looking much better! guess he just didnt like so much light.