phytoplankton

Herman

Now I know phytoplankton is a great reef food, but what I am wondering is it just algea?

like the name brand "DT'S" what actually is it? I ask this because I have a 30 gallon quarentine tank that has been running for months while remaining empty and very neglected and the water has become EXTREMELY green I mean I cant see more than 3 inches into it!
So any who if I continue to let it culture would it be a good food for my display tank? I could take the water and bottle it then process it as I have read about on melevs site but I wanted some input incase I am dead wrong and am making a bad decision about introducing possible pollutants into my display tank!
So what does eveyone think? bad idea or good idea?
should i dump the water or grow it super dark and green and feed my main tank?

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
I have no idea if what you have in your QT is the same type of algae or an invasive type that might cause a foggy green bloom in your main display.... I'm following along to hear the answer.

prow

can you get a pis of this green stuff?? is that the only stuff growing in there?

Warnberg

Well I'm not sure what you have in your QT tank is really what you want. Most of us that grow our own micro algae "green water" are after a spacific type of micro algae (Nannochloropus) there are others but this is the type I grow.

Herman

Yes I know this is not the best "green water" to grow, however I do have 30 gallons of it that I can bottle and give a try at as i figuere what the heck, my other option is a much needed water change and scrubbing!

not sure the only thing I do know is I realy need to start growing my own as it is way too expensive to buy!
warnberg, i see you live in tampa also where did you get the stuff to make your setup for growing?

Herman

any one? no?, well shoot I guess I will just try it out then.
although i was hoping for more feedback!

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
The only time I add phytoplankton is when I clean my glass:lol: :lol:
Phyto is very small free-floating aquatic plants such as one-celled algae so yea I don't see a problem adding it to the display but just an FYI most photosynthetic corals are carnivorous and will not benefit from phyto but if you want to feed your filter feeders in time they in turn will provide zooplankton which will benefit your corals, just be careful how much you add you don't want to degrade your water quality.

prow

i say dont put it in. better to buy something you know what it is. its not that much money. the risk of putting something in you dont know what it is not worth it IMO.

Warnberg

I do feed about a cup a week of green water to my tank, I spacifically turn off all pumps and powerheads and direct it toward my clams. After about 5 minutes I turn everything back on. Now I would think that if this green water you have in your QT tank has turned the tank green I would think it may be a little too agressive to put in your main display, it may actually turn your display green with an algae bloom.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
The only problem I see is if the tank has been treated with copper otherwise there will be no harm if he adds a little green water to the tank.

Herman

Well, realy the only reason I even want to add it is for my baby clam, its only about 2.5 - 3 inches long and I have heard that wee little ones need weekly feedings other than that all other tank residents have always done very well without it. and yes lol when i clean the glass i guess it gets lightly fed.

Warnberg

Target feed the clam, I do this in one of two ways. Use a pipet to direct the greenwater at it or take a small plastic tupperware, fill with tank water, place clam in it, put a little green water in it, I usually leave this for about 10 to 15 minutes.

What type of cam is it?