metal halide wont stay lit!!!!

Herman

This is driving me crazy!!! I bought a 175w 10,000k metal halide off ebay(new and straight from china) wich i stored away until today when my ballast came in, put it all together and it wont stay lit!! it comes on for about 15 to 30 seconds then goes out! it will try to refire again shortly of wich it just glows dimly until it completely comes back on for a short time!
the ballast and capacitor are both used (magnatek) but they seem to be working at least for seconds at a time. any body have any thought what i need to do? is the bulb faulty? ($4.95) or is the ballast or capacitor suspect? bad ground? somebody please help!!! im pulling my hair out over this one as this is my first venture into metal halides!

thanx

Snelly40

Not sure sorry,. the only thing mine does it that it does take a little bit to warm up. There is a light glow for a few minutes before it kicks on all the way. How long have you been leaving it on before turning it back off?

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Magnetic ballast will NOT light all bulbs. As a matter of fact, there are only several bulbs that it will fire. However, electronic ballast will light any type (except for murcury vapor).

With that said, you could have a bad bulb or ballast also...

JFK_Jr

PREMIUM
Also... make sure you're not running to many amps on that circuit. I had a similar problem a while back because I had too much junk running on the same circuit. Cleared up when I reduced the load.

Another thing to consider is MH bulbs need a break-in period.

Herman

Well folks I went to homedepot and picked up a 175w bulb, brought it home and it fired right up! so now I guess I need to find a new bulb!
too bad the home depot bulb cant be used on the tank! oh well i guess thats good news. I just need a bulb not a ballast.

thanx for the input everyone.
Herman