Need Opinions !!!!

jav'sreef

Ok Iam Getting Ready To Set Up A New 55 Gallon Tank And I Need Opinions ....plan A : Penguin 350 Bio-wheel Filter, 2 300gph Power Heads, And Protein Skimmer Or Plan B :10 Gal Sump ,2 Power Heads ,and Protein Skimmer Both Set Ups Will Have 260 Watts Of Pc Lighting .

Rougiem

Ichthy Inquisitor
PREMIUM
Plan B....

I am setting up a 55 right now...be glad to discuss what I am doing with you.

Cheers!

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Snelly40 said:
why is the sump set up so much better without a filter???
just trying to learn guys :)

Bio-wheel filters are limited to converting ammonia into nitrates which you want to keep very low in a reef tank. Live Rock and DSB's have the ability to denitrify because of bacteria that live in anaerobic areas. Skimmers are also recommended since they remove organics before they breadown into nitrates.

Robert is right. I had a Penguin Bio Wheel in my 36g. Two big problems...first,the filters aren't that great at all.....second, after a period of time the bio wheel develops a slimey coat redering it useless as a filter mechanism much less a "good bactia harboring zone". I switched to an Aqua Clear 70. I like the filter options and it's quieter. I also have a Prism skimmer and the two work beautifully together. Although, I do wish I had a sump to hide it all from the main tank.

Herman

I have a 55 with what I think are two 350's (walmart) allthough only one has wheels, I have had realy good luck so far but im also planning on adding a 10gal walmart tank as a sump so I can hide all this stuff! I too have a 260pc and skimmer so our setups are similar so i can honestly say plan a will work but plan b will be more pleasing to the eye!
if you listen to the wise ones here on this board i belive you will be happier, as everyone will tell you its better to do it right the first time!
I know the advice I have received here has been invaluable so yes definetly plan B!
besides i will also FINALY be doing the same (im a little slow)!
let us all know how it works out!