canopy thickness?

Herman

Ok, everyone what thickness plywood is recommended for building a canopy?
I hear most recommend 3/4 but i am considering making mine from 1/2 plywood, any one know if this might be a problem? 3/4 seems awfull heavy.
it will be to house 2 175w MH and 2 96w CF acitinics with four fans and possibly a sheet of UV plexiglass, all on a 55 gallon.

second unrelated question, do i need to feed frogspawn? if so what?
i just recently purchased a realy nice piece and i want to make sure i care for it properly! it stays open all day but closes up late in the evening but i think that may be due to too long of a photo period (14hrs) ,hmmm perhaps i just answered my own question that does seem a bit too long.
but anywho please chime in and let me know your thoughts!

thanx

Kensn

I "framed" mine in 1x3 and skinned it with 1/4 ply. It was a reverse skin though, the 1x3 framing shows, but it was solid maple with maple plywood skin.

kinghokus420

3/4 is waaay overkill. 1/2 is even overkill imo. Kensn has the right idea, make it thin and light. it just has to support some lights. the less weight on your tank equals less stress on it. they weigh enough as it is.

Herman

Yeah, that is my line of thinking too! thinner sounds much better I just didnt know if the people saying 3/4 had run into heat issues or problems with the fans vibrating and humming. im thinking about the UV plexiglass to keep some of the heat out of the tank as I REALY HOPE i wont be instantly needing a chiller. way too much money for me right now! hopefully the 4-5 fans i have will cut it.

deaclauderdale

Not only will 3/4 be overkill it will add uneccassry weight to the tank and stand, and remeber some reccomendations are profit driven.