PVC LR Shelf Rack

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I really like that look. I'm gonna bookmark this thread in the "Next tank idea" folder....

Allen :)

soriano

Oh another update on the tank... unfortunately I no longer have that Beautiful Powder Blue. :(

As I mentioned earlier, I added some new rock. Previous to adding the new rock I had no problems with parasites or anything of the nature. Shortly after adding it, My PB came down with anchor worms or something like that and passed away.
My Clowns also came down with what i think was velvet and passed away.
I later found out that the guy i got the rock from had issues in his tank as well.

Lesson to all, QT your new rock just in case. Let it sit in QT and fallow for a while so as to lessen the chance of parasites.

I thought it would be good to mention this as anyone building a structure like this may be buying new rock.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Sorry to hear about your losses. You know I never really thought about LR being a "carrier" for parasites but I would imagine in short term it could and does carry them. Long term I would imagine without a host the parasites would die off but short term I see how it does have a LOT of negative potential!

Again sorry to hear about the losses!!

Allen

soriano

Unfortunately no, no new inhabitants. That parasite episode got me pretty freaked. After I lost my clowns, my foxface started to twitch like it had turrets (no joke), but he seems to be doing fine now. My only conclusion is that the cleaner shrimp did their jobs.

Now that my foxface, chromis and sailfin blenny appear to be doing fine, I'm going let the tank opperate for a while as it is. Do some water changes and take it slow before adding more live stock.

clowns are pretty hardy, so when they came down with what ever it was, it was really quite sad and scary :(

goldenmean

Thanks for coming in from your brieg sdummer and sharing with us.
Your LR bridge is awesome.
Sorry for your recent loss.

This is a great ideali can see head spinning-wont lie, Im even ploting on the ideal...LOL

No really love the idea,but we need more pics-or I do at least-can you try to get a close shot of the rock and the pvc I would like to see how its aging together

ScubaDrew

Going to start building a stand tonight, working on plans at work right... now!

I have a 90gal corner bow, so I have A LOT of room back to front. I plan on having mine hang towards the front instead of sideways.

Great idea, thanks!

Cassette87

That is a really great idea... I wonder how it would work if you mixed this idea with the link a while back for arago-crete, that home made live rock "concrete" mix...

arago crete would just set that ideal off...The realism would be breath tanking the Arago would stick if you stufted up the PVC really good...That would give ppl the ablity to really sculpt the reef...

rDr4g0n

id love to do some agrocrete stuff, but i dunno if i cant wait for a month while it "cures"

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
id love to do some agrocrete stuff, but i dunno if i cant wait for a month while it "cures"

You can do it Luke! Oops sorry.. was drifting back to Star Wars days.. :LOL:

No seriously you can wait. We'll all wait WITH you buddy :)

Allen

Yeah a month in the REEF Time is like an Hour in our time, I feel like I wanted for a year before I got my first manderain....LOl, I really want to try it perhapse I will try it when I convert the 180...that be lots of room to get really creative-I just like to see some one go wild with it . With some crazy shapes and structors

rDr4g0n

well ive heard of people "curing" their agrocrete by putting it in the flush tank of their toilet. every flush is a water change, and since the tank is clean water (not poopy water) its somewhat safe. i guess youre saturating it with tap water chemicals thouhg....

i dunno ill consider it... i really need more LR in my tank, but agrocrete negates one of the great benifits of LR: biological filtration. itll grow in time, but ya know... time lol

ScubaDrew

Good point, hmmm. I have a couple bags of Aragonite, so all i need is some Portland cement... Perhaps I'll give this a shot. Does Anyone know what size bags they sell at the home depot? I'm on the motorcycle today and not sure I can carry too much cement in my backpack!

Yeah a month in the REEF Time is like an Hour in our time, I feel like I wanted for a year before I got my first manderain....LOl, I really want to try it perhapse I will try it when I convert the 180...that be lots of room to get really creative-I just like to see some one go wild with it . With some crazy shapes and structors

ScubaDrew

Dang, that probably wont work, I'll have to get the car. Since your the expert, do you have any idea if there are portland cements that contain things I don't want in my tank? I'm going to assume, like sand, there are types out there which will do harm... This is the real reason I avoided making my own rock.

thanks,

Drew

Portland is probably in 90lb bags (used to work there and THAT was my isle).

Allen

rDr4g0n

Dang, that probably wont work, I'll have to get the car. Since your the expert, do you have any idea if there are portland cements that contain things I don't want in my tank? I'm going to assume, like sand, there are types out there which will do harm... This is the real reason I avoided making my own rock.

thanks,

Drew

ive never made agrocrete before, but the site where you get the recipe should be pretty thorough in describing what concrete mixes contain that can be harmful. the 1month curing period is actually the leaching of harmful chemicals from the rock, from what i understand.

in case you dont have the link, pour over this site for hours and hours: Geothermal Aquaculture Research Foundation Home Page

the site is ridiculously icky to use and navigate, but is so loaded with info its impossible to hate it lol