PVC LR Shelf Rack

Yeah Thats a great site let us know how it works out....but i wouldnt try the "Flushing ideal". I know its clean but I cant get the thought of it not out my head.....LOL

ScubaDrew

Its no joke, this site is full of information on a ton of topics. I toyed with the idea of purchasing some of the premade Aragocrete rocks, but couldnt really figure out how much it would cost. I think they want you to just call rather than place orders on line.

I might suppliment some of the rock I purchsed from tampabayliverock.com once it gets in and I see how it looks. Someone said it was dense rock, so I might come up short.

ive never made agrocrete before, but the site where you get the recipe should be pretty thorough in describing what concrete mixes contain that can be harmful. the 1month curing period is actually the leaching of harmful chemicals from the rock, from what i understand.

in case you dont have the link, pour over this site for hours and hours: Geothermal Aquaculture Research Foundation Home Page

the site is ridiculously icky to use and navigate, but is so loaded with info its impossible to hate it lol

lcstorc

Other than the fact that I am DIY impaired my thoght is "what's the point?' I have LR in my reef but it is fobiologicalfiltration. Asthetically it looked fine with some dead coral and fake plants. It was not good howver to kill fish after fish.
Now if you are talking about relatively small amounts in addition to your LR I think it is cool how you can make the shape you want etc. It may even become live over time, but it will be a whie.
I have heard good stuff about the Garf style of doing it. I think it is garf.org or garf.com. I would at least look at it and see what you think.

Triggerjay

The reason for curing it, is so you dont crash your PH. Portland cement has a VERY high PH until cured. I have also heard you can use rock salt, or noodles in the rock, and when it is curing, it will dissolve, leaving holes to make the rock porus..

Jason

I have heard that as well- and I agree with the PH, it just takes a wjile to stable out-longer then garf makes it sound tho, if you went that root.

couldnt you use Quickcrete? I have used that on my FW backgrounds. And that was in the take 3-4days afterwards Ph didnt move. But maybe FW vs SW the reaction would be different

Techno-Vicki

I am in the process of making some for my new tank. I want to do the main structure with the Garf recipe. I would not use anything but the portland cement (make sure it is the white). It took me a long time to find it locally. I will be curing mine in our year round creek. Also, my sister and I are going to be making a fiberglass mold first. We are still working out the bugs. When we actually get the molds going, I will start a thread.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
That's an idea. If you get good enough to be able to make your shapes and molds to incorporate the main structure. Good idea.

Vicki, you ready to start this one? :)

Allen

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Vicki are you still considering an attempt at this?

Our club president picked up a composite rock at MACNA that's from epoxy resin and has been coated/rolled in sand & agronite to make it look "Reefy". It's VERY light and molded in many shapes and sizes. The one he got was a wavy flat shelf. It's not designed to be base rock but actually the TOP layer of rock and provides nice areas for frags to attach to etc. I'll get a brand name and post back in this thread.

Allen :)