PVC LR Shelf Rack

Devilboy

Great idea... how is it looking now? How heavy was the rock that the pvc is supporting?

Would you be afraid the tie wraps would break?

I miay use this on my 75g when i redo it.

soriano

Devilboy - sorry, was on vac in Punta Cana.
On the horizontal, i'd say the rock is about 10lbs.
On the angle, it can cary quite the load because of additional angle support.

As for pvc size, i think it was 1-1/4. I don't think guage should matter because depending on how far you extend on the horizontal, your main concern will be gravity, not so much the flex of the actual pipe.

The ties won't break, I used 2 ties per rock and the rock is pretty light as it is. Besure to use the ties in locations that you will see little of them.
(ie. don't drill a hole right in the middle of the rock, try to drill closer to the sides so you don't see a huge strap). Try to find rock that fits good and use the ties just to keep the rock from shifting. I think i only used ties on front rocks. On the top, the rocks are just sitting on their own.

woolfe

That looks awesome. I might try the same as soon as I save enough to get the 180 or 210 I've been dreaming about.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Any chance for some updates? I am doing some "long-range" planning for a 120g and this looks VERY promising!!

Allen :)

rDr4g0n

ditto. i plan to do some scaping using either pvc or acrylic rods and i wanna see how his came out!

caitrina

You might be interested in this article I posted in one of the sections of RS. I think it was in general news...I want to do this one day and through reading this it helped me come up with some ideas...it may also serve you with your idea.

Reef Aquarium Farming News #15 p 1

goldenmean

I sent Soriano a pm last week letting him know that there were many of us at RS looking forward to a shelf rack update.

lcstorc

This is a subject of much debate.
According to some people it never does.
I know that I have put base rock in with LR and it has at least established some life on it. Lots of corraline but that is just on the exterior and is not denitirfying. I do think it gains a certain amount of anaerobic bacteria over time but that is just my opinion.

There are a couple of old threads out there where people have discussed it a lot. In one someone (I think Cheeks) cut open a piece of base rock that was in his system for a long time and the only visible life was on about the top 1/4 inch or so. The inside of the rock was still white.
I wish I remembered where the thread was.

caitrina

I'm not really sure, I have read the article over and over again and I find more each time I read it. I would just like to do some of it for myself because then I can shape the rocks the way I would want them. I did read in the article that they do keep some of the rocks in their lab for 3+ years. IMO I do believe they are considering it LR because they get the coralline algae and other algaes to grow and do attach some live corals. In that respect there is some signifigance to them calling it LR as those items are just that- alive. I think it would be great if we could get the rock in this way to keep from depleting the natural resources. There is a lot of information in that article and I think it would also be a good science project for school kids.

soriano

Hey Everyone!! Sorry for the late reply. - It's summer up here in Winnipeg :) I've made it a point to stay away from the computer and soak up some rays before the snow comes...lol.

Anyhow. I don't have any updated pics at the moment. But I will take some later tonight. The only one I have is this one.

I haven't added much to the tank other than more rock.
The tank is going to be an inwall, and I've built the frame around the tank, but I haven't drywalled yet. I'm saving the work on the tank and wall as a winter project. Right now I'm just trying to enjoy the weather while it's here.

I'll keep you guys updated as I add things.

Attachments

• tank1.JPG
    tank1.JPG
    37.4 KB · Views: 170

lcstorc

Thanks for the update. We were wondering where you had gone.
Glad you are enjoying the nice weather.