PVC LR Shelf Rack

soriano

I wanted to do something different in the way of aquascaping with my new 120g. I really want a rock shelf that extends out into the tank (not an arch) so here's my plan.

Below is a pvc LR rack (not yet complete). I need a few more T's to join the upper portion and I'm going to extend the base a bit more and the upper shelf will extend out the same length!!

I'm going to coat the structure with silicone and cover it up with rubble or crushed coral. Once coralline sets in, i don't think you'll recognize the structure.

After that I'm going to take some flat LR pieces, drill some holes and zip tie them to the structure.

The base will be covered by the sand and I will get my shelf!

Attachments

• Picture 018.jpg
    Picture 018.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 435
  • Picture 019.jpg
    Picture 019.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 426

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Sounds like a great idea.

It would be nice if you could take pics along the way so we can watch from afar :)

DeepBlue

Very nice! That will allow for some really nice flow behind the rock structure. By strapping the rocks to the frame will make them very stable. Hopefully you won't have to move the structure to get behind it.

Gina

RS STAFF
I agree with Woodstock, pics along the way!
Looking forward to seeing how it looks in the tank!

pmac90

If you don't have them (I can't see'm) I would put end caps on the open pipe. I would hate to see you post a pic in 6 months about a giant bristle worm that you know is in the tank but you just can't find'm! :bugout:
I've always been a fan of the pvc rock structure... good luck and plenty of pics!

soriano

pmac90- good point on the end caps. I'll add some on both top and bottom.
I ran out of pipe and fittings, but i'm off to get some more today - more pics coming tonight.

In the end, I hope to extend the shelf about 12". (hope is the operative word). :)

saltwaterfarm

That is really neat. I like it. I'd be scared that the base needed to be longer to keep it from falling forward. That's why I can't DIY ;-) Great job!

Jynx

Tell me more about how you will attach the rock. Will the plastic ties wrap around the rock and the PVC or will you drill holes through either the rock, the PVC or both. Any concerns about the glue used to join the PVC pipes.
Using a framework like this seems like it opens up lots of creative possibilities for aquascaping.

soriano

check it out. I tested it with some heavy base rock to test how much it would flex. I don't mind how much it flexed. Once the rock zip tied, it won't fall off. Plus it makes for a more natural structure instead of a straight shelf.

Attachments

• Picture 020.jpg
    Picture 020.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 378
  • Picture 021.jpg
    Picture 021.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 371
Last edited:

soriano

Jynx - I'm going to try and hide the zip ties as best as I can. I think i'm just going to drill throught the rock and feed the zips through. I don't think I'll drill the pvc. Once it's coated in silicone and rubble, then you won't even see it wrapped around the structure.

Jynx

I am setting up a 75 gallon tank at my office and have some ideas about aquascaping that I want to try. A PVC framework like you are using appeals to me. Please keep me updated on how thing progress.
Did you just press fit the frame together or did you glue to joints. Is the glue safe to put in the tank...

DeepBlue

I might be a little concerned about the amount of flex you have. Are you planning on adding rock on top of the base rock that is attached? Over time, the pvc may flex more where it will wind up falling all the way back and down causing an avalanche of all the rock that may be on top. Just a thought.

soriano

Jynx-I just press fitted and tapped with a hammer to make a good fit. I don't think that the pvc will come loose. I wasn't sure about the glue either so I didn't use it.

I'm sure the glue is safe as it used for potable (drinkable) water, but I don't think I need it. (i'm might reconsider later. particularly the top part where the angle turns into a horizontal.)

Anyone have Any thoughts on if pvc glue is safe fully submerged in the tank?

soriano

hahahahaha I LOVE IT!
Check it out! The LR didn't flex the pipe much!
I put it in place in the tank... and it looks good.

The tank pics don't do it justice, so i'll post more when the water is in and the lighting is in place.

Attachments

• Picture 022.jpg
    Picture 022.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 279
  • Picture 023.jpg
    Picture 023.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 280
  • Picture 024.jpg
    Picture 024.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 281

lcstorc

This is gonna be interresting.
In theory even if the top part flexes too much the zip ties should hold it in more or less position. I think it would give the livestock a chance to escape if necessary. Of course that is just the fish so I would be careful in coral placement and not put anything under that point.
Of course, if the joints give way then it would be sudden and that would bother me.
We used the glue in plumbing our tanks, sump, and fuge so I would think it would be safe if given some time to dry fully.
I really don't know but that is likely what I would do.