Cat's Frag Tank

catran

Yeah, I wasn't using a skimmer for a long time on that tank, but when I started getting HA on a couple of rocks, I put the Tunze 9002 on it. The water was fine for a while before I put the tang in there. The progression of HA had even stopped. The tang never ate that kind of HA either, which was one reason I bought him, lol!

I love reefers...

steved13

PREMIUM
FWIW neither of my tangs seem to ever touch HA. Once in a while I'll see them picking at a rock or sandbed, but never munching on HA.

Maybe we just feed them too well.

IMO The big turbo snails are the best way to go.

engineer goby

Has been struck by the ban stick
My turbos cleaned up all my HA but they never lived more then a couple months and would always die where I can't get to them. They also can't flip themselves so keep a long stick handy.

catran

Thanks Rob and Juan. I'm trying to decide whether I want emeralds in the frag tank since its go so many nems near or on the bottom. Has anyone ever heard of one attacking a nem. I have BTA's, Maxi Mini's, and Rock Nems.

I love reefers...

engineer goby

I haven't heard much negative talk about them and was actually thinking about adding 2 to my 90 again. I will say over a year ago I watched one pop several polyps on my green bubble coral. The coral eventually died and the crab was sentenced to life in my friends tank.

catran

Hmm, I'm not really worried about other corals though. I have a little bubble algae in the frag tank and I know they'll eat them. I just hate paying $9 for an emerald locally and Shipping is a killer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

catran

I haven't heard much negative talk about them and was actually thinking about adding 2 to my 90 again. I will say over a year ago I watched one pop several polyps on my green bubble coral. The coral eventually died and the crab was sentenced to life in my friends tank.

Rob, did it seem like he was doing it on purpose? Think he might have thought it was bubble algae?

catran

Okay, here's a couple of pic updates.
This mini maxi was losing color. I thought for sure it was going downhill:
714cf016.jpg

This guy has a weird color base. It's also got red and green, sort of xmasy.
d26f7480.jpg

This is not cool! This rock is being overrun by feather dusters. I remember breaking off a lot of them before I put the rock in my tank.
33abc711.jpg

I love reefers...

catran

Thanks! Oh, I like a couple of feather dusters here and there. An infestation and a rock full of them is a different story.

I love reefers...

lethal

Great pics Cat. I always thought that feather dusters were harmless filter feeders.

catran

Great pics Cat. I always thought that feather dusters were harmless filter feeders.

They are, unless that's all you have. They're pretty ugly when there's that many. Their tube is petty sharp too. I don't think my nems use that rock for that reason.

catran

Okay, this really stinks! I've had 2 power outages in two weeks. I lost 2 Tri-color acro's, a mini birdsnest colony and and awesome ponape birdsnest that was 4-5" and growing like mad!! I would try to blame the water quality in the 65g, but I just made 2 very large w/c's in there and was cleaning the HA out. The 29g frag tak was fine, a little HA on one rock, but not much. The only thing they have in common is that the lights were off for extended periods of time and the water was highly oxygenated.
One acro and the mini colony were in the 29g and the large Ponape and large, pretty nice sized acro were in the 65g.

JJ! Got coral?
Any birdsnest mini colony's?
Lost my Meteor Shower Cyphestrea too!
:(

I love reefers...