Search results

1. Rhodes19

Tanks and equipment for sale

Hi all, I need to downsize and sell some of my tanks and equipment. I’m selling my: 180 gallon reef ready aquarium with custom stand (no doors) for $850. This includes: 2 Dorso and return stands, two of the three glass tops, three fish screens to stop fish from jumping out of the...
  2. Rhodes19

Better flow: Closed loop or power heads???

Hi All, Which system offers better flow characteristics given the same gph, closed loop or power heads? I have 3 power heads, a koralia 4 (1200 gph at 12w), a Koralia Evolution (1400 gph at 6w), and a Sicce 4 (1600 gph at 14w) in my 180 and was looking at replacing them with a CL system...
  3. Rhodes19

Used 55 g plastic barrels for water storage??

Hi All, Can I use 2nd hand plastic barrels? I just fund a local place I were I can get used 55 g plastic barrels (blue color) for $20 a piece. I want to use one for fresh water storage and one for salt water storage. The gentleman I spoke with said that the barrels held detergent in them...
  4. Rhodes19

SWC Xtream 200 skimmer problems

Has anyone else been having problems with their SWC Xtream 200 skimmer? What were your fixes that worked? I've just about had it with mine. I've had nothing but problems with it since I got it back in November. It's damn near impossible to to adjust the water level. Its either one of two...
  5. Rhodes19

Can ich exsist in an established tank even if it's not seen?

Sorry for the strange question. I guess a better questions would be "how can I tell if a mature tank has ich or not"? I just got a 125 FOWLR from someone the day before their house was foreclosed on (sad story) and I want make sure there is no ich. I've QTed fish before for 6+ weeks before I...
  6. Rhodes19

Filter system for a 125 FOWLR?

Hi All, Just wanted to get some feed back on what would be a good filtration system for a 125 g FOWLR set up. I brought home an existing (2 years old) 125 FOWLR over the weekend and it came with about 80-100 lbs of live rock, a wet/dry system with bioballs, and a small skimmer. I'm thinking...
  7. Rhodes19

125 gallon rescue tank

Hi All, I am picking up a 125 FOWLR from someone I know who has to get rid of it quickly and it has to be moved by tomorrow. I borrowed a 100g rubber maid container from Frankie and am making fresh sw. I should have enough sw by tonight. Is there any suggestions or recommendations you can...
  8. Rhodes19

Any one using Adobe Photoshop Elements 9

Hi All, Is anyone using Adobe Photoshop Elements 9 to photoshop their pictures? If so, how do you like it? Is it easy to use? Can you get just as good a picture as the full blown version of Photoshop? I know if I had a better camera I could get some much better pictures but for now, I...
  9. Rhodes19

What does depth of water do for skimmers?

Hi All, Now that I have a big boy skimmer (SWC 200) for my 180, I have become aware that I don't know everything about skimmers. :D What does the depth of water the skimmer sits in have to do with proper/optimal skimmer operations? And, how do you determine the optimal depth for the...
  10. Rhodes19

Another dead diamond sifter

Ok, I give up. I just lost my 4th diamond sifter goby. The first one went carpet surfing after a year or so in my 29. His replacement lasted about a month before I found him belly up. The 3rd one lasted about 6 weeks in the 40g before I found the hermit crabs munching on him. And last night...
  11. Rhodes19

VorTech MP40 questions

Hi All, I have some questions about the MP 40. Does it do a better job at water flow than any of the other power heads out there? Does it push more water than other comparable power heads? Is it the wave action that the MP 40 makes that gives the tank a better flow and provide flow to all...
  12. Rhodes19

Do you QT a diamond sifter goby?

Hi All, Do you need to quarantine a diamond sifter goby or can they go straight into the DT? I'm sure the answer is yes, they need to be quarantined but I want to make sure. I recall reading somewhere that diamond sifters are not susceptible to ich and because of that don't need to be...
  13. Rhodes19

Frankie's flute

Hi All, I just wanted to share this with folks. Frankie has many interesting hobbies and interests and one of them is making bamboo flutes. I've heard him play and he does a great job. Well, after picking his brain on how he makes them, he showed me and then last week he gave me one that...
  14. Rhodes19

When do you harvest cheato?

Hi All, When do you know its time to harvest cheato from your fuge? I have a tightly packed ball that has doubled in size and is tumbling slower and slower. I'm thinking of pulling it in half and take some of it to a lfs but I don't want to harvest too much and have it detrimental to my...
  15. Rhodes19

GSP is no longer green???

Hi All, I have a GSP in my BC 14 that was a nice metallic green and was spreading like crazy but now its brownish gray. The mat is still purple though. Its still spreading but only slowly and the polyps extend but it is no longer green and its been that way for about 3-4 months. Any ideas...
  16. Rhodes19

Blue Tang Head erosion

Hi All, I need some advice on taking care of my blue tang while in QT and confirmation on what I'm doing is correct or incorrect. At the moment she has head and lateral line erosion that started about a 7-10 days ago and as of last night it looks like her body has a whitish sheen to it. If...
  17. Rhodes19

Ms. Behavin's Blood Parrot Cichild tank

Ok, Ms Behavin is my wife's trucker handle (long story and longer drive). Several years ago she brought home some blood parrots and put them into my 45 g wf tank. The swordtails, platties and tetras weren't to happy but they got along. Now there are 5 blood parrots in there and the water...
  18. Rhodes19

Reef Tech overflow box info please. :)

Hi All, Has anyone used a Reef Tech overflow box? I just picked one up and there are 3 hose connections on the bottom of the outside box. The first one is a 1" barb for draining into the sump the other two look to be 1/4" barbs but I have no idea what they are for? If anyone knows what...
  19. Rhodes19

Procedures for quarantining/dipping corals?

Hi All, How do you quarantine and or dip your corals? I've been doing some more reading on the subject but I don't have a clear pictures of what needs to be done yet. Like quarantining fish, I do see the need to prevent nasties from getting into the DT but I am not sure of the procedures...
  20. Rhodes19

MH lights over plastic cross pieces???

Hi All, I will be putting 2 250 mh over my 180 for now and want to have an even spread of light into the tank. The problem is there are 2 plastic cross supports that the lights will be hanging directly over. Has anyone ever done this and if so, what where your results/experiences. The...