GSP is no longer green???

Rhodes19

Hi All,

I have a GSP in my BC 14 that was a nice metallic green and was spreading like crazy but now its brownish gray. The mat is still purple though. Its still spreading but only slowly and the polyps extend but it is no longer green and its been that way for about 3-4 months. Any ideas on what is going on? ammonia and nitrites are 0, nitrates are some where below 5, phos is 0, salinity is at 35 ppm, temp is 78-79, and the lights are stock PC and are less than a year old. The GSP has been in the tank for almost 2 years. The zoas, kenya trees and toad stool are all doing well. The riccodia has lost some color but I think that was me trying to cut it off a rock. It wasn't happy. If anyone has any ideas I am happy to hear them. Thanks.

Chris

jgking21

I would suspect lighting. When I had PC's I needed to change them almost every 6 months or I would see slower growth and changes in colors of most corals.

ChrisOaty

I have a bc14 with gsp in it from the beginning. Mine did the same thing yours is doing and it was the lighting. 48 watts of pc lighting with poor relectors doesn't go very far...add to that 1 year of wear and tear and it's all but useless. I got a 20long and transferred everything into it under a new t5 and it picked up its old color within a week or two. All the zoas also began to fluoresce much more as well.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
My first suspect (and easiest to change) would be lights. Do you know if the bulbs for the BC14 are offered in the (-R) version? These have a small built-in reflector and I ran them on my 10g with very good results... at least in comparing with other quality PC bulbs.

Another thing to look into is do you have any softies in the tank that could be releasing some mild toxins locally that's affecting the GSP? I'd run some additional carbon in the tank just for fun.

This is sort of off topic a little bit but . . . I've noticed a HUGE explosion of grown in my GSP over the last 4 weeks. I cut some out (4 pieces the size of a nickel) to give to a local reefer about 4 weeks ago and last night I couldn't even tell where they were cut from. I talked to the local guy I gave the pieces to and he said they have already grown together into one large mat and spread very well. I remember my GSP growing massively last year about this time. Maybe a Seasonal Shift is kicking them into OVER-DRIVE?

Rhodes19

Hi All,

Thanks for all the replies. Well, it sounds like its the lights so I'll replace them and see what happens. I might be able to get the new bulbs today and I'll let you know how it goes. Right now I have a 50/50 bulb and a 10 k. I'll replace both and see what happens.

Al,

I've seen you mention the reflector in the bulb before but I could never find them for the BCs. I'm not sure about the toxins, I thought most softies gave off toxins but I have zoes, kenya trees, a toad stool, and a riccoidia. I have some purgen running but I'll add some carbon as well.

Thanks again everyone. I appreciate it and I'll let you know how it goes. :)

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I don't know that they are released for the BC yet. I know they made them for the NC last December and generic ones a couple of years ago that I used.

I was thinking it was UVL who made them but don't take that to the bank LOL!

Good luck buddy!

Rhodes19

Thanks Al,

I picked up a coralife 10 K and an actinic bulb from my lfs. Those are the only ones they carry. I don't think they are carrying the 50/50s any more. Shame, I liked the extra brightness they offered without losing the blue color. Oh well. I was going to put them in after lunch but I don't have a screw driver here at work so I'll have to replace them tomorrow. I also picked up a nylon filter bag and I'll drop some carbon in it tomorrow as well. Hopefully, that will color them up. :)

Rhodes19

Ok, I brought in a screw driver, removed the plastic cover, replaced the the bulbs with a new 10 K and a new actinic. I also brought in some activated carbon, poured it into the nylon mesh bag, rinsed it, and dropped it into the second chamber. I figure it will get the most flow there. The lights come on at 10 am so we'll see how it looks and see how the gsp looks over the weekend.

I recall reading where actinics are needed for bacteria (zoo something, I forgot the name) growth besides bringing out the color. I'll have to see if I can find the article. It was about a year or so ago when I was reading up on lighting.

Rhodes19

Ok, the lights are on and boy is the tank blue. I had to check and see if the 10 K was on. I guess I got used to the 50/50. Lets see if that helps. The zoes and the toad stool definitely look more colorful. :)

Yes it makes a big difference! I just changed my 50/50 pc lights and my GSP where turning brown and receding. Now they are fully open and starting to green up again. I'm actually going to have to start changing my lights @ 4 months because the actinic is gone by then.

Rhodes19

Yes it makes a big difference! I just changed my 50/50 pc lights and my GSP where turning brown and receding. Now they are fully open and starting to green up again. I'm actually going to have to start changing my lights @ 4 months because the actinic is gone by then.

Hi smokingjoe,

Thanks, thats good to hear. I hope mine does the same thing. :fingerx:

anewguy

As i understand it, they are fiter feeders. Mine have gotton lighter and more of a brown color the cleaner and stable my tank has gotton. I also have a small patch of zenia that hasn't done much of anthing in 6 months and a 2 head toadstool that are alive but seem to not be growing at all as well.

Rhodes19

As i understand it, they are fiter feeders. Mine have gotton lighter and more of a brown color the cleaner and stable my tank has gotton. I also have a small patch of zenia that hasn't done much of anthing in 6 months and a 2 head toadstool that are alive but seem to not be growing at all as well.

Hi anewguy,

Thanks, that could be a possibility. The tank has been established for about 2 years now. My nitrates always hover between 5-10 so I know there are some nutrients floating around, but a friend of mine said I may be making too many/much of a water change and suggested backing off on the WC. I do a 50% wc every other week. I'll give that a try too and see what happens.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Glenn not to argue here but I think my tank is a very "minimal nutrient" tank (we all know how I feed, water change, don't dose anything etc) and still my GSP are growing like mad and have great color. I'm just saying . . . :D

Rhodes19

Well, I got to the office yesterday and when the lights come on the polyps opened and are still grayish. I guess it will be a while before they repopulate. Hopefully I'll see some change after a while.

theDeedo

Hmmm..interesting thread. I have a 110gal tall, and have a small frag of GSP with some Zenia on it as well. It was sitting at middle tank, now its on the sand bed. I am running 2 250w MHs and PCs, and midway it was doing great. It seems ever since I moved it to the sandy bottom it has slowed on growth and the green is not as green, with new growth being brown....

Guess I will be moving it back to the top today, I just get concerned with GSP and Zenia because it can be rather invasive.

theDeedo

LOL, yeah your right. Ive seen quite a few GSP tanks. Will GSP and zenia overgrow other corals that are already established in its growth path? I am mainly asking about LPS and softies here, and if that purple mat will creep up over some of the other livestock I have.

I really like the way GSP looks and moves when its healthy, If I could only contain it into a certain area.....