SWC Xtream 200 skimmer problems

Rhodes19

Has anyone else been having problems with their SWC Xtream 200 skimmer? What were your fixes that worked?

I've just about had it with mine. I've had nothing but problems with it since I got it back in November. It's damn near impossible to to adjust the water level. Its either one of two extremes, its either set to low and you won't get any skimmate in the cup or its too high and you overflow the collection cup. There is no in between. The wedged pipe outflow is so stiff that it can't be fine tuned and any time you get it to move, it goes too far and over shoots where you want it to go. I can't count the number of times I've taken the pipes apart, cleaned them, and then put them back to together. That doesn't seem to help at all.

The other problem I have is with the Sicce pump they put on the skimmer. It rattles, it won't start back up after turning it back on without basically taking it almost all the way off and twisting, shaking, or smacking it in order to get it started again. It was recommended that I stick my finger into to it and push the impeller to get it started but my fingers won't fit. The other recommendation was to blow into the air tube to get the pump started. That didn't work either. The pump even cut some grooves into the ceramic shaft that the impeller sits on.

I've read on a few posts that replacing the Sicce with a Bubble Blaster 3000 will help immensely with skimmate production and that it won't give any startup problems. It's also been recommended that replacing the wedged pipe outflow with a gate valve will allow for some fine tuning of the water level. Looking at about a $300 upgrade for the pump and gate valve. Is it worth the money or would I be throwing good money after bad? I would like to hear about your experiences and your solutions. Thanks.

Alien2100

Rhodes19

I run a SWC Xtreme Cone Mini S, and while I've never had an issue with mine. I have heard of start up issues with the Sicce pumps. My first question would be are you using the mesh impeller or the needle wheel impeller. The mesh impeller is known to have the start up issue, and to fix this SWC released an improved needle wheel that puts out better numbers than even the mesh impeller did. This fixed the start up issues from what I've been told and increased performance. The other trick to try is to turn the Sicce pump 90 degrees so it's sideways not straight up and down, from what I've heard this also helps with the strat up issue. Beyond that I may check the pump itself, you mentioned ware on the shaft, its possible you could have got s bad pump from the strat. Maybe you could contact SWC about a replacement. And if all else fails buy a replacement pump and make sure to get the newer needle wheel with it, if that's not what your already using. I've also heard good things about the bubble blasters as well, but I've also heard about problems with these pumps too, so I'm not sure that's the best fix, especially when you compare cost. Also you want your pump and skimmer body to be matched for the best performance, more output on a skimmer pump does not always equal more skimate out of the skimmer.
Also I've personally never had an issue adjusting the wedge pipe on mine. You mentioned cleaning it so I'm sure that's not the issue, my only other thought would be is does the Xtreme 200 use a O Ring on the wedge pipe like mine does. If so you should have a grove cut into the wedge pipefish a small silicone or rubber O Ring fit into. And yes you could try the gate mod too, it's actualy a very inexpensive mod to help with fine tuning. I've just personally never had a need for it.
I hope some if this helps, most people I've talked to or read about running SWC skimmers love them, but like any product on the market I've found a few with problems too.

Rhodes19

Hi Alien,

Thanks for you input. I'm sorry it took a few days to get back with you. I was gone most of the weekend.

I've read good things about the SWC Xtreme Cone Mini S. One of the main reason (beside price) I got a SWC is because I read a lot of good reports on them. That's why I'm so frustrated with mine. I guess I got the lemon. I have the black needle wheel impeller that came with the pump. When I called and talked with SWC about replacing the impeller with something like the Red Devil, they said it wouldn't make much of a difference. I've played with the positioning of the pump and it doesn't seem to make any difference which way the impeller is oriented, it still won't start on it's own. I did talk with someone about the pump but replacing it with another pump wasn't their first choice. Frankly, replacing it with another Sicce doesn't sit well with me. I have a Sicce power head and I don't like it at all. This is my second Sicce product and I am not happy with either of them. I haven't heard any negatives about the Bubble Blaster but I'll check it out. I'd hate to replace one bad pump for another. My wedge pipe does have a rubber ring on it but is is very stiff to turn. Some one did recommend putting silicone grease on it which I did and that seems to be a big help. Now, how long that lasts I don't know. It should work for a good while I hope.