Search results

1. JeF4y

Mimic Filefish (Paraluteres prionurus) Anyone have one??

I'm looking for people who have a Mimic Filefish (Paraluteres prionurus). Would like to get more information on your experience with them. Specifically, what is your setup? What additional tank mates? (fish/corals/inverts) How long have you had it? What do you feed it & how often? Any...
  2. JeF4y

60 stocking suggestions - additions

We're looking for another fish or two to add to the tank since we have upgraded from the 29 to the 60 (+15 or so gal in the sump/fuge). Current stocking: 2 False Perc's 1 Spotted Mandarin A bit of LPS & some softies. Nothing overwhelming. Will likely add a clam too pretty soon. We...
  3. JeF4y

Emergency birth of a 60 Cube from a 29 that SPLIT!

What started here: http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/reef-chronicles/48926-jeffys-bc29-big-sump-adventure-tons-o-pics.html Ends up here... Have you ever had one of those days when you wonder, "what have I done to the universe to deserve this?!?" 4:21am Saturday Sept 12 as I stood undressed...
  4. JeF4y

Jeffy's BC29 BIG SUMP Adventure! Tons-O-Pics

Where to begin... Well, let's see. All she really wanted was a few goldfish. That quickly ended up changing into a full-on reef aquarium. Now, not knowing ANYTHING about reefing, we bought a bit of hardware and dove in. We originally thought we should go very small scale, something...
  5. JeF4y

BulkReefSupply.com

Wanted to put out a HUGE Kudos & Thanks to the guys at BulkReefSupply.com. Since I do most everything without any foresight, I often end up changing orders and/or adding to them. I did all that to these guys, and they took it like champs! They were happy to add to my order while it was on...
  6. JeF4y

Drilling glass UPRIGHT

Just wondering if anyone has ever done it and if there are any special precautions. I'm drilling 2 holes in the back of the BC29 and am intending to leave the tank upright while I do this so that I can keep the substrate in the tank and not remove it and deal with the associated nightmare...
  7. JeF4y

Kalkwasser or Calcium reactor on a nano?

Has anyone ever used either on a nano? Money isn't the concern, just wondering if it's more of a PITA than it's worth..
  8. JeF4y

Stupid question of the day - RO/DI How does it work?

Title says it all... My basic question is on the "rejection rate". I'm seeing like 97%, 98% "rejection rate" for water in RO/DI systems. Is this to mean that I'm going to dump 97 gallons of water down the drain to produce 3 gallons (out of 100) of RO/DI? Thanks for schooling me.
  9. JeF4y

External Fuge questions

I'm looking to build an external fuge using perhaps a smaller (10 gal?) AIO tank. I just don't understand how I can transfer water in/out of it without the possibility (or minimizing the possibility) of flooding either tank. Anyone? (and before you suggest, no, I can't make a fuge in the...
  10. JeF4y

Coral Placement

Being new, I'm always amazed to see FTS of these beautiful aquariums loaded with so many different kinds of corals, all seemingly growing up to one another. As we've been placing corals in the tank, we've been pretty paranoid of getting them close together, but wonder how others make their...
  11. JeF4y

Fighting Conch & Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp

Couple of questions.. 1. Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp. We introduced one yesterday and, well, its life was worth about $1/min. I really believe it was something wrong with the acclimation. I floated it for 30 min, drained off much of his bag water (down to 8 ounces). Dripped for 1hr...
  12. JeF4y

BC29 Top Hinge?

Has anyone put a hinge on the top of a BC29? Just curious as that is my goal for the weekend. I was originally intending to rivet it on, and may still rivet it onto the top, but the back seems to be glass all the way up so I'm going to have to find some epoxy or mighty putty or something...
  13. JeF4y

Filtration questions

A couple of questions about filters in a biocube29. 1. With the skimmer, the flow is restricted too much into the back to use the stock filter element, so I have it dislodged, using it only in a passive manner for its carbon. Today I am pulling it and going with small bags of carbon. I'm...
  14. JeF4y

Red nubs on a piece of liverock

Not sure if these are the same as the ones in the "red tree" thread, but figured I'd put up some pics. Any ID would be great! I have one piece of liverock with these small red nubs growing out of it. Again, it's only on one piece. Sorry for the microbubbles in the pics. They're about the...
  15. JeF4y

No Skimmate in my skimmer..

I have a relatively new biocube 29. About a month old now. All that's in it is 30# of fully cured liverock & a handful of snails & 2 crabs to eat up the brown algae which recently emerged (think 10 hrs of lighting was too long cut back to 6 for now). Anyhoo, I've had the skimmer running...
  16. JeF4y

Thoughts - Plans - Questions - The new-guy post

Well, after lurking for a week & reading pretty much everything I can, I figured I should probably say HI and ask a few questions, etc. We're brand new to saltwater anything, and are looking to ease into things, keeping it simple and successful (hopefully). Where we're at today is all in the...
  17. JeF4y

The dreaded N00B post

Hey everyone. I'm Jeff, in S.E. WI & new to the reef scene. Oddly enough, what started out 2 weeks ago as a quest to have "a couple of gold fish" has resulted in: Biocube 29 Stand Heater Extra Pump SR3 Skimmer 30# crushed coral substrate and as of last night, 30# Fiji premium...